chapter ten; the secret

A few months ago

Maya was on her way home when she heard someone talking. She quickly hid behind a tree and poked her head around it to see who it was. "He needs to go," A voice she didn't recognize said. "I know, he doesn't belong here." A voice she recognized as Charlie, said. "We need to get rid of him." The other man said. "I know. But how?" Charlie asked. "Follow me." The other man said as Charlie followed behind him. Maya walked away from her hiding spot and towards home. "Who were they talking about?" Maya wondered. She decided she'd break into Charlie's office later and figure it out.

four hours later

Maya hopped onto her horse and they galloped towards the sheriff's office. Maya got off her horse and hid behind the building. She looked around and once the coast was clear, ran towards the station. Maya took a bobby pin out of her hair and picked the lock with it. Once she was in, she put it back in her hair and headed towards Charlie's office. Maya opened the door to his office and closed it behind her. She walked towards his desk and started rummaging through his desk drawers. A few minutes later, she found exactly what she was looking for.

It was a note. Charlie and the other man he was taking to earlier were planning to kill Lucas Friar.

Maya zoned out as Lucas was talking about something. "Maya?" Maya shook her head and looked at Lucas. "Yeah?" "Are you okay?" Lucas asked with a concerned look on his face. Maya frowned. "I should be the one worried, your the one who got shot." Maya replied. "Yeah, but he was aiming for you." Maya smiled a little. "Friar, you should know by now that no one can kill me. Many have tried, and they've all failed." Lucas sighed. "Yeah, I guess your right. But that doesn't mean you can't be killed, Maya. You're not invincible." "I wish I was. That'd be so much easier than having to run all the time." Lucas looked at her and rolled his eyes. Maya bit her lip. "Lucas, there's something I have to tell you."  Lucas looked at her with a raised brow. "What is it Maya?" "Okay, so a few months ago I was-" Maya started. "Guys!" Farkle ran into the room, interrupting Maya. Lucas turned his attention away from Maya and looked at Farkle. "What, Farkle? Maya was trying to tell me something." "Oh. Sorry. But me and Riley have some big news." "What news?" Maya raised an eyebrow. Farkle looked behind him and beckoned for Riley to come in the room. Riley stood beside Farkle as they held hands and smiled at each other. "Well," Farkle began, turning his attention away for Riley and to Lucas and Maya. "We're getting married." Maya hopped up and hugged them. "Oh my gosh! I'm so happy for you two!" Maya let go of them and smiled. Lucas got up and also hugged them. "I'm happy for you guys. It's about time." "Thanks, But it's about time for you two also." Farkle smirked at them. "Yeah, one day." Lucas said, smiling at Maya. Maya blushed. "Well, anyways. We're gonna go tell Charlie now. We'll let you two get back to your conversation." Farkle said as he grabbed Riley's hand and led her out the door. Lucas turned his attention back to Maya. "You were saying?" "Oh, right. So-" Maya was interrupted again. A bottle came crashing through the window, almost hitting Maya in the process. "What the hell?" Lucas said, looking out the broken window. "H-Heey Fr-riarr!" A drunken man waved at him. Lucas rolled his eyes. "Really, Josh? Is this all you do?" Josh snickered. "N-naahh." Lucas shook his head and ignored Josh, once again turning his attention to Maya. "Maybe I won't get interrupted this time." Maya laughed. "I doubt that. We both know how crazy it is around here."  After all the stuff went down with Charlie, they had decided that it was best to return to Berkton. Luckily, they had no trouble getting back. Maya smiled. "Good point there." Lucas smiled and sat down beside her. "But anyways, What I have to tell you is very important. I found out about it a few months ago, and I may or may not have been snooping through your office. And Charlie's." Maya smirked. Lucas shook his head. "I knew it! I had a feeling someone was going through my stuff. Explains why some pictures of me weren't in my drawer anymore." Maya smiled and laughed at him. "Okay. Enough joking around. This is serious." Lucas straightened up. "Alright. Hit me." "Okay, so I was on my way home one day, when I heard Charlie and some other guy talking. I quickly hid behind a tree and listened to what they were saying. They said that they needed to get rid of someone. After that, they left. And I decided that I would sneak into Charlie's office later and find out who it was. So, I snuck into Charlie's office and went through his stuff. And...I found this." Maya gave Lucas the note. Lucas read the note and dropped it. "What the hell..I thought me and Charlie were friends!" Lucas shot up, walking towards the door when he was pulled back. "Lucas! not now. We have to find out more about this." Lucas tore his arm away from Maya's. "Really, Maya? One of my best friends is trying to kill me, and your telling me we need to wait. Are you kidding me right now?" Maya sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "Wait a minute, if you found out about this months ago, why are you just now telling me?" Maya took a few steps back and sat down. "Because...I wanted to do it myself." Lucas stood still. "Even when we were together?" Maya looked away from him. "Not exactly...the first few weeks we were dating, it was all I could think about. While you were asleep some nights, I would get a knife and hold it against your face. But I couldn't do it...Because I realized I was in love with you.." Lucas shook his head and turned away from her. "I can't believe you.." Maya frowned. "I'm sorry, Lucas.." "No your not. We're done." And with that, Lucas walked out the door. Maya fell to the floor, crying.

Lucas barged into Charlie's office, the door slamming hard behind him. Charlie looked up at Lucas. "Hey. Lucas. Are you okay?" Lucas walked towards him, glaring at him. "No. I just broke up with Maya." Charlie's eyes widened. "What? Why? I thought you loved her?" "I do." "Then why did you do it?" "Because of this." Lucas gave the note to Charlie. As Charlie read it, his eyes widened. "Lucas.. I-It's not what you think.." Lucas's eyes filled with rage. "Really, Charlie? THEN WHAT THE HELL IS IT!" "M-me and this guy we were trying to get rid of you.. But not by killing you!" "How the hell else would you get rid of me!? I'm not stupid, Charlie!" "I-I..." Lucas punched Charlie in the face. "I thought we were friends. Friends don't do this to each other." Charlie held his face in pain. "You know what? This all makes sense now. I bet you weren't even aiming for Maya. You were aiming for me." Charlie groaned in pain. Lucas glared at him. "You're pathetic, Charlie." Lucas said, walking out the door. 

OOOH SHOOOOOT! Was Charlie actually trying to kill Lucas? Keep reading to find outttt. Also, If you guys want more Lucas and Maya then please go to my oneshot book and I'll get on it. Love you guysss.