Chapter Eight

Aiden's P.O.V

Panting, Michael and I finally reached the pavilion with few seconds to spare. Lucas began shouting instructions over the conversations, pitiless for those who missed them. He'd already mentioned the fact, that if any information was not heard, it was your own fault and they wouldn't be said again, as commands on the battlefield would not be repeated for your sake. I had trained myself to listen attentively since the first time it was indicated. Michael was still in awe at how well I could hear over the continuous noise.

Before leaving for soldier boot camp, Blake, my older brother, had coached me in all areas, we were to be trained in. I owed him a lot, without his aid, I wouldn't understand half of the gibberish going on around me.

Lucas pointed towards the armoury, implying us to start moving. We had been inside the armoury before once, during a tour of the campus. But I was still impressed. Armour racks lined the wall, swords, knives, battle-axes and spears hung from steel hooks, shields were displayed prominently featuring their engravings, our faces reflected back at us, off the polished metal.

We formed a line, stretching back out of the building. I stood behind Michael awaiting my turn. When I reached the front, Lucas guided me to one of the smaller armour racks. He pointed to it, "Try on this one, put the helmet on first, so we can see how big-headed you are." I grabbed the gleaming headwear and gently placed it on my head, too tight. Lucas yanked it off and pushed me forwards, a size up. I tried three more sizes until I found one that fit, even that one had to be banged to fit, Lucas muttered something about be forced to babysit big-air-heads. I mentally rolled my eyes, he was always complaining about how his talents shouldn't be wasted on us and maybe if he had been assigned to the more experienced 5th-year apprentices, he might actually like his job. We all secretly wished that too, then he could torment the 5th years and not us, as he usually was. It had now developed into a daily habit, he bullied us every waking moment, he had the chance.

I returned to the pavilion, where Michael was waiting, a huge grin pasted on his face. Sword-fighting was the most awaited lesson. Michael was bouncing on the balls of his feet, as if ready to strike any moment. Once everyone had their armour, Lucas and Oliver, another trainer, lead us to a table set with swords. we were to practice with wooden swords, so we didn't skewer each other, on our first go. Oliver was patient as we went up and chose our weapons, checking the balance. Unlike Lucas, he even helped and advised us. I was starting to like this guy and glad that he was treating us as equals, unlike Lucas.

"Okay kiddos, these dummies, if you don't know what dummies are, you probably are one, anyways, the things standing in front of you, are what you are going to practise with. Of course it would have been way more entertaining to watch you children trying to fight each other, and then weeping like babies after you hurt your 'friend', bah what nonsense," Lucas sarcastically snorted.

I was relieved when Oliver interrupted his further opinionated speech, "So firstly, we will begin with offense, the first few moves you'll learn are just basic stabs and swipes."

Practice continued with Oliver's little tips,Lucas's irritated comments and Michael's excited whoops, as he mastered each move.I personally wasn't too bad, though Oliver praised my skill as if I was some expert swordsman. Lucas glared at me the whole time, geez, I wondered what his problem was.
-----------------------------