Chapter Two | True Happiness Is...

The sun's blinding rays filtered in through my window, I squirmed in my bed and groaned. Weekends were meant for sleeping in but that was a rather crucial thing to do with the sun shining in your face.

Finally surrendering, I shoved my blankets aside and unwillingly got out of bed. Without bothering to make my bed -what's the point in doing so when you're going to mess it up again- I collected some random clothes from my wardrobe and headed for the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth, washed my face and speedily showered. I threw on my clothes -a tank top and denim shorts- and yanked a comb through my hair. Back in my room, I packed a small duffel bag with a pair of clothes, my sleeping costume and toiletries.

In the kitchen, I grabbed a box of cereal and carton of milk, combined them in a bowl and scarfed it down in five minutes flat. I swallowed a glass of orange juice and greeted mother good morning, as she walked in.

"Emily dear, are you off to Fatima's place?" Mother inquired.

"Yes mother," I replied.

"Could you drop this letter at Mayor Maurice's office on your way?"

"Sure. And mother I'll be spending the night at Fatima's."

Once out on the street, I earned glares of disgust and jealousy from all corners. People envied my mother's ranking and wealth, therefore I was envied too. Keeping my head low I continued on my journey.

As soon as I sighted the Mayor's office, relief washed over me. Quickening my pace, I finally reached my destination. I raised a hand to knock on the hard wood, when I heard the muffled sound of voices. I knew it was a major crime to eavesdrop on the mayor, but my conscience told me otherwise. Leaning forward, I listened in to the conversation.

"But I don't want to-" I heard a boy's voice whine.

"-I didn't ask for your opinion. Now leave, your business here is done and don't forget to be back tomorrow," an older, more authoritative voice demanded.

Realizing the door was about to b opened, I quickly stumbled back, the grace and swiftness of my mother's genes absent. The door hurled open and standing in the doorway, fuming was none other than Aidan.

An empty silence filled the gap between us. The authoritative voice called out again, snapping me out of my stupor, questioning Aidan's valor. If possible, Aidan's menacing scowl deepened and without a word, he shoved past me.

Hesitantly I knocked on the open door.

"If you're not Aidan then come in," the mayor, I'm assuming, yelled.

I stepped into the room and scanned my surroundings. A large desk occupied most of the area, seats placed on either side. I walked further in and stood in front of the desk. I held out the hand that the letter was clenched in and mayor Maurice accepted it without question.

"You may leave," he instructed, "wait, you're Keitha's daughter aren't you? Come back tomorrow afternoon, at three-thirty."

"Okay... sure," I mumbled before robotically exiting. That was unexpected, why would the mayor call me to his office?

I continued my journey to Fatima's place. Around ten minutes later, I stood in front of her older sister, Yasmin's apartment. Fatima didn't live with her parents, she preferred living with her sister and younger brother for some odd reason.

Once I had rung the doorbell, I was greeted by Ash, Fatima's younger brother, he was twelve-years-old.

"Hey Emily! Fatima's in her room, in case you're wondering" He supplied.