The Cliche

"I can not believe he asked me out!" I squealed, turning to my friend Rose as I closed my locker.

"I know! I am so happy for you, you are going to call me and tell me about what you are going to wear right? I think you need to ditch the turtlenecks." Although her opinion was not wanted on my turtlenecks, she was right. I needed to 'up' my wardrobe game for this date.

Jeremy was not some popular guy that every girl drooled over, like in the movies. No. Jeremy was simply the guy I had liked for months. I had chemistry with him. I was almost certain he had no idea I even existed until I got to sit next to him one day in chem. We had to share some of the lab equipment and we briefly began talking. I was so ecstatic that he was giving me the time of day.

"I was thinking about my red skirt, you know the one my parents call my hippie skirt?" I explained, using my hands to gesture at its length before gazing at my watch. "But I will take pictures and 100% get your advice! I still can't believe he asked me! I got to get to class." I was finding it hard to contain my excitement. I had waited so long for a guy to take interest me and it had finally happened, I was truly pathetic thinking back about it.

I spent hours changing tops to match my skirt and sending pictures, I even changed out of my red skirt several times. The other options were pretty horrendous.

*

"The lucky red skirt? You doubted it?" Hannah questioned, adjusting her position to look up at me. Her cheeks were still wet, but at least the tears had slowly stopped unlike the continuous sniffles.

"You know the lucky skirt did not always used to be so lucky. If you will let me tell you the story you will find out how sixteen year old me swore to only wear that skirt on dates I never wanted to go on." I smiled, her expression had take on a curious look at my words.

"You met David in that skirt, that's why you told me it was the lucky skirt."

"Yeah well, it became lucky with David, now shush I am having a how I met your mother moment but with my horrendous dates." I had been obsessed with the show, watching it continuously on netflix for the past two months.

*

By the time my date had rolled around I eventually settled on the red skirt with a white loose fitting top, with gold chains for straps, tucking it in. I thought I looked like a bohemian princess. I was incredibly inspired by mums friend Roxanne at the time. I am still not sure if it was a mistake or if I should return to those deep parts of my closet.

Jeremy and asked me to meet him at the movies, and time was beginning to pass so I sent him a couple texts asking him if I had the right spot, date and time, that I was here and was wondering where he was. He took his sweet time to respond, telling me he was running late. Fifteen minutes late.

I was still so excited that the guy I liked had asked me out that I shrugged it off, and the fifteen minutes had passed and there he was, smiling, walking towards me.

"Hi, sorry my bus was late, and bad reception." He explained, placing his hands into his pockets. It was clear, looking back now, that he hadn't the slightest interest, but I was head over heels for a guy I'd hardly spoke two words to. I could not care less at the time. I was sixteen.

"The movie we planned to see already started, so what do you want to see?" I smiled, hoping for anything apart from the new James Bond film.

"How about Bond? I heard this one is supposed to be really good, and oh hey is that Amy from Chem? I am just going to go say Hi. I will get our tickets and be right back." He sound eager and hardly gave me any time to reply before he darted off, leaving me to say okay to the air.