Chapter 5 - Sana

26 September 2015

Dear Meng,

Can I call you mine? Joke lang po, Lola Nidora! Haha

I think I have run out of things to say to you. I honestly didn't expect this. Any of this. I never thought that I would come this far or that today was one of the best days of my life. I'm actually still reeling from what happened in the past few hours. It was supposed to be just pretend but why does it feel like it was true to life?

It started with the clothes that I wore. A lot of people might not know this but I chose the clothes that I wore that day. I guess there was a part of me that wanted to...wanted to feel like this is not just showbiz as usual. Or a staged date (even if it was technically like that). It was the only thing I could do...considering that everything else is somewhat out of my control.

I also meant it when I dedicated the song "God Gave Me You" to you. I wasn't just speaking to Divina. I was also speaking to Maine Mendoza, the woman who is both genuine and beguiling. In my four years in showbiz, I can honestly say that I seldom met people like you. You were truly god-sent. That's one of the reasons why I broke down and cried.

I was honestly scared shitless (and sweating bullets). I was only given a few short instructions on what I should do. Everything else would be on-the-spot. Lola Nidora's nervousness actually reflects my feelings. It was like I am going on a first date again and I have to meet the parents of the girl I'm pursuing. I had no idea if I was good enough or if I even stood a chance. Now, you know how real this is to me.

My only regret is the fact I couldn't say much to you. I held your hand, I sat close to you, and we took selfies. But I didn't get to ask you the long list of things that I wanted to know. I managed to ask a few quick questions although it wasn't enough. Kasi, araw-araw man tayong nagkikita sa split screen, we could not really get to know each other since you weren't allowed to speak. We've never even been in a shoot together. But maybe someday?

I admit, I was quite frustrated for awhile because I never really understood why people choose to hide their feelings or pretend otherwise. Until, one day, I had the courage to ask Ma'am Jenny if I could contact you. She turned down my request and reminded me how it important it was to preserve the magic that we had. I eventually agreed because I supposed that it was only a matter of time before we meet each other. No one can stop us then.

I don't really want to overwhelm you but...I have to say this too. I think I am starting to like you. I'm not saying this as Alden Richards, the actor from GMA. I'm saying this as a Richard Faulkerson Jr. from Brgy. Dila (yes, that's the name of our barangay). This might sound weird but you have given me so much more than I ever needed. Hindi ko sukat akalain 'yung mga blessings na dumating simula ng nakilala kita. I have a lot of things to thank the Lord for and one of them is you.

I'm being very bold, right? I suppose that this is the kind of effect that you have on me. After meeting you and reading your letter, I felt like I could do anything because I know now that I would always someone who believes in me and is grateful to be my side. My heart honestly soared when I saw that it was addressed to my real name, not my stage name who is burdened by his status as a celebrity. You're a beautiful person inside out, Meng. I truly appreciate your message and I hope that I'll find the courage to send you a hand-written letter soon.

I might sound selfish but...can you stay there and wait for me to prove myself? I know that this is not going to easy, because our lives are basically intertwined with the storyline of Kalyeserye, but I am more than willing to prove my worth. That is, if you'd let me.

I don't know what will happen now or in the next day - but I am choosing to go headfirst. I want to take a chance on what I'm feeling. Baka nga sa tamang panahon may forever no?

Yours,

RJ

***

27 September 2016

A few hours before SPS...

"Papi Alden," Jerald called, walking towards Alden who was standing to one side. He smiled at the sight of him.Tamang tama ang dating ko. Laglagan wars is on.

Alden looked up as he approached and gave him a small nod.

Teka lang. Bakit parang iba ang mood niya ngayon? Ang saya naman ng nangyari kahapon sa Kalyeserye ah. Jerald thought to himself.

Shaking his head, he addressed Alden once again. "Mukhang inspired na inspired ka ah."

"Hindi naman. Sakto lang."

Talaga lang ha?

"Talaga ba? Hmmm. Alam mo, may naalala akong kanta kagabi," he started. "Gusto mong marinig?"

Alden sighed and rubbed his forehead. "May choice ba ako?"

"Ikaw nga ang syang hanap-hanap. Kay tagal na ako ay nangarap...," he sang loudly. "Lumuluhod, nakikiusap, ako ay mahalin mo sinta...."

Jerald then turned to his companion who barely uttered a sound.

"Ganda ng song no? Bagay na bagay sa iyo!"

"Weh? Bakit naman?"

"Eh...dahil sa nangyari sa Kalyeserye kahapon! Gusto kitang bigyan ng award dun sa pag-iyak mo at pagpipigil ng kilig nung kaharap mo na si Yaya Dub!"

"Maine."

"Ha?"

"Maine ang pangalan niya, hindi Yaya Dub."

Jearld stared at him, dumbstruck, and he stared back, finally realizing the implications of what he said.

"So Maine, hindi Yaya Dub no?"

Jerald's face split into a wide smile. It's so easy to find out what's happening when it comes to you, Papi Alden. Nilalaglag mo ang sarili mo eh. Haha

"Ay, congratulations pala, Papi Alden!"

"Congrats? Para saan?

"Congrats lang."

"Para saan nga?" Alden asked, crossing his arms over his chest. "May laman iyung sinasabi mo eh."

"Eh...kasi nakatanggap ka ng letter galing sa kanya," Jerald responded. "Baka naman...baka naman gusto mong ishare sa akin or sa fans niyo kung anong laman nun!"

"Hindi pwede."

"Eh, hindi ba part iyan ng plot? Hindi ba sasabihin ang laman nun next week?"

"Hindi, para sa akin iyun," Alden insisted.

"Oo nga, para nga ---"

"Para kay Richard Faulkerson Jr., hindi kay Alden Richards," Alden said, cutting him off. It was real, not some made up letter that they used as a prop. "Hindi mo ba nabasa iyung post ko sa instagram kagabi?"

"Ano?!? Hindi pa. Teka nga," Jerald took out his phone and immediately searched for his post.

After a few moments, Jerald looked up from his phone and stared at Alden who was busy staring off into space. Ibang klase...wala akong masabi sa mga ganap. I knew that there was something pero hindi ko naman inasahan na ganito kabilis ang mga bagay bagay.

"Wala akong masabi," Jerald said, making Alden turned towards him confusedly. "This must be love no?"

"Ayokong sagutin iyan kasi ilalaglag mo lang ako mamaya."

Jerald laughed. "Actually, uulitin ko lang iyung ibang sinabi ko. Sakyan mo na lang ako!"

"Isa ka pa eh. Para kang si Sam," Alden said. "Lagi niyo na lang akong binabaon sa lupa. Tirhan niyo naman ako ng dignidad!"

"Hindi pwede, Paps! Kailangan malaman nila ang mga ganap behind the scenes," Jerald said with a grin on his face.

Itong si Papi Alden, akala mo, hindi gusto ang nangyayari. Parang tinutulungan na kaya kitang bakuran si Yaya --este si Maine eh! Nako, kapag magkatuluyan na talaga kayo, dapat kunin niyo akong best man! Todo effort kaya akong mag-isip ng banat!

***

Author's Note:

Hi guys! Thanks for continuing to read Meraki. :)