Chapter 2: The Shooting Guard

"Gosh, I can't wait for next month! I will surely do my best," Chloe murmured to herself as she nestled into the comfort of her bed, her mind alive with anticipation for the journey that lay ahead.

As she lay there, lost in her thoughts, the piercing ring of her phone interrupted the tranquility of the moment. With a sigh, Chloe reached for her phone and glanced at the caller ID—it was her friend, Kaye.

"Hey! How are you?" Kaye's cheerful voice echoed through the receiver as Chloe answered the call.

"Good! Still can't wait for next month. How about you? How's Mexico?" Chloe responded, her excitement palpable even through the phone.

"Mexico was great! We strolled around and I also met new people here! Hahaha," Kaye exclaimed, her enthusiasm contagious.

"Woah, you really are enjoying yourself there, huh? So, how about your career?" Chloe inquired, genuinely interested in her friend's experiences.

"Well, just done our training! A bit tired but really enjoying it!" Kaye replied, her voice tinged with satisfaction.

"Good for you!" Chloe remarked, genuinely happy for her friend's newfound fulfillment.

Their conversation flowed effortlessly, each exchange filled with laughter and camaraderie as they caught up on each other's lives.

"So, how about you?" Kaye queried, her curiosity piqued by Chloe's recent endeavors.

"Well, just finished our orientation earlier," Chloe replied, her tone reflecting a sense of accomplishment.

"That's great! So, this is it! And I can't wait to see hot Mexicano boxers here!" Kaye teased, her playful banter eliciting a chuckle from Chloe.

"Hahaha, you flirt! I'll gonna tell Jayden what you just said!" Chloe retorted, her amusement evident in her voice.

"Hey, I was just kidding, lol! And please look after him while I'm gone, okay?" Kaye replied, her tone shifting to one of sincerity.

"Hahaha, so you're making me a spy now?" Chloe quipped, her playful banter mirroring Kaye's earlier teasing.

"Not really! Um... so, Chlo, I'll be going, okay?" Kaye announced, her departure imminent.

"Okay, chow!" Chloe responded, her heart warmed by the connection she shared with her friend as she bid her farewell.

As Chloe ended the call, a sense of contentment settled over her, her thoughts drifting to the adventures that awaited her in the coming weeks. With a smile playing at the corners of her lips, she allowed herself to be consumed by the promise of what lay ahead, eager to embrace the opportunities that awaited her.

~~~~~~~~

After a month of eager anticipation, Chloe and her newly minted colleagues found themselves on the edge of excitement as they prepared for their first playoffs coverage. Arriving in Oakland for the game, the group brimmed with anticipation and nerves.

"Jet lag!" Chloe murmured to herself as she felt the weariness settle upon her, her complexion growing pale with fatigue.

"Are you okay?" Samantha, their Head Journalist, inquired, concern etched upon her features as she observed Chloe's condition.

"Yeah, I'm okay, ma'am!" Chloe reassured her, summoning a smile to mask her inner discomfort.

"Are you sure?" Samantha pressed, her gaze lingering on Chloe with a hint of skepticism.