Chapter 11: Step Back

"Hey, Chloe, get up!" Anne's voice cut through Chloe's dreams as she shook her gently in bed.

With a groan, Chloe checked the time and let out a complaint. "Arg! It's just 6 AM!" She protested, not ready to face the day.

"Hey, sleepyhead, come on!" Anne persisted, trying to coax Chloe out of bed.

But Chloe wasn't having it. She burrowed deeper into her blanket, determined to steal a few more moments of precious sleep.

"Hey, come on! You have a visitor!" Anne's voice took on a tone of excitement.

"Just tell that person that I'm busy," Chloe mumbled, her eyes still closed as she clung to the remnants of sleep.

"Come on! I'm sure you want to see who's downstairs waiting for you!" Anne insisted, refusing to give up on waking her friend.

Despite Anne's efforts, Chloe remained stubbornly in her slumber. Frustrated, Anne decided to take matters into her own hands and pulled Chloe out of bed, causing her to tumble to the floor with a yelp.

"Ouch! Why did you do that?" Chloe exclaimed, rubbing her head as she glared at Anne.

"Just go down and see who's there!" Anne urged, ignoring Chloe's protests.

Grumpily, Chloe made her way downstairs, still half-asleep and disheveled from her abrupt awakening. She was surprised to see Klay sitting on the couch, a bag of breakfast in his hands.

"So, tell me, who's this special person that needs to wake... the K... Klay?" Chloe stammered, her words trailing off as she realized who was waiting for her.

"Good morning, Chloe! I brought you breakfast. I just wanted to make it up to you for last time," Klay greeted her with a warm smile, seemingly unfazed by her disheveled appearance.

"WAIT!" Chloe exclaimed, her eyes widening in shock as she processed the unexpected sight of Klay in her living room.

Gulping nervously, she turned and hurried back to her room to compose herself. After hastily changing her clothes and brushing her teeth, she returned downstairs, her heart pounding in her chest.

"Uhm, Klay? What brings you here so early?" Chloe asked, her hands clammy and her voice trembling slightly.

"Chill, Chlo! I told you, I wanted to make it up to you. I brought you breakfast," Klay replied, handing her the bag he had brought.

"Aw, thank you! But you really didn't have to," Chloe said, feeling a blush creeping up her cheeks at his thoughtful gesture.

"No, it's okay," Klay reassured her, his smile infectious.

"Come on, let's eat together," Chloe suggested, eager to spend more time with Klay despite her nervousness.

"Uh, it's for you, Chlo! And I'm on a diet for the game," Klay explained, declining her invitation to join her for breakfast.

"Oh, I see. Well, I guess I'll just eat this later then. Um, so, do you want anything? Juice? Water?" Chloe offered, eager to make Klay feel comfortable in her home.

"No, no, I'm good! I just dropped by to give you that and to check on you. Um, Chlo, if you don't mind, I'll be going? Steph just messaged me that we'll have a practice later," Klay said, starting to make his exit.

"Uh, yeah, I understand," Chloe replied, feeling a twinge of disappointment at his departure.

"Just see you around?" Klay asked, his eyes lingering on her for a moment longer.