Chapter 5: Follow Up

The next morning, Chloe decided to take a long walk since she had no work. Rising at 5 am, she cooked some food for her co-workers.

"Wow, you're early," Howard remarked.

"I used to wake up early, except when I'm really tired," Chloe replied, offering an explanation.

"Oh, I see. You cook too?" Howard inquired.

"Yup. Well, I'll be off to the market later. Want to come?" Chloe invited.

"No thanks! I'll just stay here. I need some rest; I'm still exhausted from last night," Howard declined.

"By the way, can I borrow the AUV?" Chloe asked.

"Oh sure, wait. I'll just get the key," Howard responded, retrieving the key and handing it to Chloe.

"Thank you, Howard!"

"You're welcome."

With the key in hand, Chloe drove herself to the supermarket to buy ingredients for lunch, coincidentally encountering Kyrie there.

"Those cabbages were fresh," Kyrie commented from behind as Chloe inspected the produce.

Chloe turned, slightly surprised, and replied, "So? Did I ask you?"

"If you're not busy after this, can we have lunch or coffee or something you want?" Kyrie asked with a smile.

"Well, something I want is for you to leave me, please. I'm busy, and as far as I know, you're a player who should be practicing for today. So, if you'll excuse me?" Chloe responded, a hint of irritation evident. She then walked off, pausing briefly to add, "And I already washed your jacket. Thank you for lending it to me last night. I'll return it when I see you at your next game."

Kyrie scratched his head, smiling, as he watched Chloe depart. Despite her dismissal, he followed her wherever she went.

"I prefer the other brand. It has better quality," Kyrie remarked as Chloe selected soy sauce.

Chloe's irritation grew, but she reminded herself to stay calm to avoid causing a scene. "Okay, Chloe, chill," she muttered, taking a deep breath.

Returning to the vegetable section for forgotten broccoli, Kyrie questioned, "Are you a vegetarian?"

"Is your head made of steel?" Chloe retorted.

"Why? Because I'm hard-headed? Because I keep following you?" Kyrie joked.

"No, well..." Chloe trailed off, then suddenly started slapping Kyrie with the broccoli she held.

"Hey, stop it!" Kyrie protested, shielding his face.

"If you don't stop annoying me, you'll see this food cart!" Chloe threatened.

"What? Can you carry that?" Kyrie asked, sounding apprehensive.

"Yeah, I can carry that if I'm extremely pissed off!"

Their commotion caught the attention of security, who approached them.

"Hey, you two! What have you done?" the security guard demanded.

Kyrie, taking responsibility, offered, "Look, I'll just pay for the damages. Are we good?"

"Kyrie Irving from the Cleveland Cavaliers? I'm a big fan! Can I have an autograph?" the security guard stammered, star-struck.