Chapter 8

Carmen

I made the doctor's appointment for Emily for one this afternoon.

I showered and dressed, ate the food Tyler made, and I stayed in bed until noon. I dressed Emily and let Tyler dress Ethan and Declan, and then Tyler and I dropped Ethan and Declan off with my parents and we drove Emily to the doctor.

"Momma, I'm not sick." Emily says for the umpteenth time.

"I know." I say. "Don't worry, Emmy." I kiss the top of her head, checking Bay News 9 again.

"Momma, I want to go home." Emily whines.

"Here." I hand her a coloring book. "Color." I sigh.

She starts to color. She's left handed, just like me.

I want to know if the guy that got shot is going to live.

"Are you okay?" Tyler asks.

"I don't want to talk about it." I mumble.

"Well, when you do, I'm here." He says, kissing my cheek.

"I know." I say. He's reading a magazine, and I really want him to hold my hand.

He looks back at a magazine. I can't pull my eyes away from him. He's so beautiful.

He hasn't shaved in a few days. He's been stressed out. He has dark facial hair on his cheeks, and a small mustache growing.

I hate facial hair on every single guy. It's nasty and it feels like pubes.

But Tyler, he looks incredible with facial hair. Most guys can pull it off, but he can. His lips are pink and beautiful. His brown eyes study the magazine. I can't look away from him. I just can't.

He looks up, making direct eye contact with me, raising his eyebrows.

"Please tell me what's wrong." He whispers.

He's incredible. He's so incredible. I sigh, looking down.

"Sunshine." He whispers, brushing my hair out of the way. "What's the matter?" his hand rests on my cheek.

"I just love you." I mumble. "A lot."

He starts laughing.

"Oh, I see your problem. I'll handle that later."

He looks back at his magazine, smiling.

"What?" I ask. "What's my problem?"

"I'm not going to voice it in a room full of children." He says.

I pause.

He thinks I'm horny.

"Oh." I gasp. "I am not!" I whisper yell. He smiles, looking at me.

"There's nothing to be ashamed of." He smiles.

"No, it's not that. I just love you. You need to get your head out of the gutter." I mutter.

"Momma." Emily speaks up. I turn around, looking at her. Tyler is to my left, Emily is to my right.

"Yes?" I ask.

"I'm not sick." She says.

"Em, I know you're not sick." I say. "Just please be patient, sweetheart, okay?" I kiss her forehead.

"Okay." She sighs. She starts coloring again.

The news is on, and all they're talking about is what happened this morning.