Chapter Two: D DAY

So here I am in a little corner of the institute in front of a few guys and gals doing ZUMBA.

Its crazy! I know it is, but let me explain how I ended up here on the first day of my college.

I reached the university almost 10 minutes before the scheduled time. The day was nice, a little cloudy but nice. In front of me was Asia's once largest medical campus with green lush trees and mostly old buildings with slightly worn out paint and a few newly built flats for the campus residents.

I had to walk a little longer till I reached my destined place, Our college. The administration office was not hard to find out it was right there near the entrance. I went inside. It was a spacious room occupied by several officers doing there regular tasks, I suppose or maybe busy because of the first day work. The room smelled of papers and cheap glue.
A bulky women sitting on a distinct counter called me and asked," Are you from the first year batch?" I nodded and gave my admission details, she gave me my schedule of my classes. I started to carefully go through it while she kept telling me some rules I lost track of them after a few. After she was done with them, I smiled and thanked her.

It wasn't very hard to find my first class, Biochemistry. The class had  wooden furniture, an old black board, a cupboard in the corner and fans hanging on the roof. The sitting arrangement was done after a lot of thinking as all the desks were arranged in increasing order of height to give everyone a better view of the class.

Since it was still time to our first class there were only a few students inside and so I got a nice seat in the second row, it gave a decent view of the board. All my life I've always preferred the second row. You can concentrate in the class properly and teachers also rarely look at you as they prefer giving their attention to the first and the last benchers.

I was lost in my thoughts when a girl said something to me, probably a Hi. I gave her a similar response. Since the desks have a capacity for two students, I was sure she was going to sit with me. She was wearing a pink long T-shirt, jeans and a silver bracelet hanging on her left hand, it was visible enough that she had applied a little amount of makeup her hair were done in a French braid. Overall she looked perfect.

I let my eyes wander around the room. The class was filled, almost three quarters of the benches were already occupied. The girl settled herself and her bag. I tried to start a conversation, "So what's your name?" She gave a smile and said, "Aakriti and yours?"

"Tasha"

We chatted for a little time and soon the teachers arrived. I was surprised at first, why are so many teachers here for a single class. Aakriti seemed calm though and sure enough she saw the weird look on my face. "The first class is introductory", she said.
Maybe I should have paid more attention to that lady whose name is Mrs. Gupta as I found out from Aakriti. Aakriti's father works in the administrative department here and hence she knows more about everything here than me.

The class was all about how great is this profession we have chose, the ethics we have to remember and most important how hard are these four years going to be for us.

Every teacher was careful about not scaring us but when you are not sure about your decision and you come to know about the multiple problems and difficulties, all you want to do is run! At least in my case I was. This wasn't my own decision it was imposed on me.

Finally after the merits and demerits the introductory session ended respective teachers told us the syllabus and named a few books we can buy if we wanted to.

We still weren't prepared for taking further proper classes so every class started with a brief discussion about what we are going to study and how are we supposed to do practicals and all.

After four lectures at last we had our lunch break!!!

All four lectures I was with Aakriti. We shared a few things about our whereabouts and I came to know that she lives not more than a few blocks away from my house and that we could go together to our way back home.

Also I came to know that she is very sensitive and possesses a weak immunity and hence she won't be having lunch with me as she suspects that canteen food could be harmful to her.

So as hungry as I am I went straight towards the canteen also I remember the clerk that came after the third class, said all of us had to assemble near the canteen for some official work.

As a foodie person I have a rule not to delay your hunger for anything unless it is sleep. So I went to the canteen. The canteen was large enough for the whole college students to eat at the same time. Tables were arranged beautifully and I guess it was a part of the newly built things because it was better furnished and more comfortable than the classes.

I bought a sandwich for myself, it wasn't that bad and plus when I'm hungry I can eat almost everything (edible).

I looked around people were reading something probably a notice it might be about what the clerk said. I would do that later let's eat first. After finishing the sandwich I went towards the crowd and looked at the notice. The officials must have a problem with their hand writing, in bold letters it said, " EVERY STUDENT IN THE FIRST YEAR BATCH ARE ASKED TO COME WITH THEIR ADMISSION DETAILS TO THE COUNTER SET UP NEAR THE AUDITORIUM. WE ARE HAVING A BUSY TIME SO DON'T BUG ANYONE IN THE OFFICE COME STRAIGHT TO THE AUDITORIUM AND CONTACT MR. SINGH"

It's odd I thought I haven't heard anything about it from Aakriti, But being an obedient student I followed the rule and went to the auditorium.