Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX:

“Excuse me, is this Matthews’ residence?” a boy asked.

He was standing in front of me, almost 5’11 in height. I could’ve sworn he looked much younger, but he’s height tells so otherwise. He had deep brunette hair and blue eyes. I looked at him in awe.

“Huh? Oh, yes it is. Why?” I stammered.

“I’m Lucas Montgomery. My dad told me to come here. Is he here?”

“Ah, Lucas, I’m glad you’re here.”I didn’t notice Mr. Montgomery standing behind me, watching everything unfold.

“Come in.”

All of us sat quietly at the dining table. Everything was just quiet. No one spoke; neither mom, Clarence or Lucas. Tension was building slowly every moment, but I knew something has to be done. Someone should break the ice.

“Marni, Lucas,” Mom started to talk.

“Both of us want to tell you something. W-we’re –“Clarence started to talk but was cut off.

“We’re getting married!” mom announced gleefully.

My jaw dropped open. I stared at my mother in disbelief.

“We’re going to get married in two months time, sweetie. Isn’t that nice?” Mom smiled as she cuddled up with Clarence Montgomery.

Ugh. I want to puke.

I looked at Lucas’ direction. He didn’t seem bothered by my mother’s sudden announcement. I stared at him suspiciously. He noticed my stare, his eyes bored into me.

“Uhh, can you please excuse me and Lucas?” I immediately went towards Lucas’ seat and dragged him all the way to the nearest door.

“Dude, what is wrong with you? Aren’t you going to object or whatsoever? I’m pretty sure you’re feeling the same thing I’m feeling right now!” I blurted.

He just shrugged. “I know he’s going to marry again. That’s why I’m not that surprised. What really caught my attention was, this time; dad wants to marry your mom – meaning, his employee.

“Hey! My mom may just be an employee, but she’s the best mom you can have!”

“Like I would know that.” He gave me a hurt look then it turned into a glare, he opened the door and went back to his seat back at the dining room.

What was that all about? Did I say something wrong? Well, whatever. If he has no say to this, then I guess I’ll have to shout out my thoughts to this couple.

“Mom, you can’t really be so sure with this, right? I mean, you never planned to marry anyone.” I tried to sink in the information about her words back then.

Mom just looked at me with hurt in her eyes. What? Why is everybody looking at me like that? I’m just stating what I think. Nothing wrong with it. Right?

“Clarence, Lucas, will you please excuse me and my daughter for a moment?”

“Sure.”

Mom ushered me into my room. She didn’t talk or whatever during our walk towards my bedroom.

“Marni, dear, aren’t you happy for me?” she asked.

Wow, that just stung. I never thought about that.

“Oh screw that. It’s not just my happiness, it’s also yours. Don’t you want a father-figure by your side? I’m sure, Clarence can fill in your dad’s shoes.” She said in a motherly voice.