chapter 4//daddys home

"Mom how could you do this?" I yelled, anger boiling inside my body at the woman standing in front of me. She had been lying to me for weeks and the only reason I found out is because she thought I left already.

My father just stood at the doorway to the living room, watching us with an emotionless face. This was the man who ruined my childhood, who tore apart my mother, and when we needed him he was out banging some other chick. He had let us down so many times but yet I found him sitting in the living room with my mom who was treating him like a prince. She never learned.

"Tyler" Her voice broke and she took a step toward me, reaching out her hand to touch me. I violently backed away and turned my back to her. I shook my head before walking out of the house, I couldn't deal with this right now.

The cold air nipped at my cheeks and I shoved my hands further into my jacket. The longer I thought about him being back in my life the more I began to feel sick. I wished he would leave and never come back, I didn't want anything from that sick man. He never showed any emotion or any affection towards me. All he did was give me panic attacks and bring down my self esteem. I had been working for years to get rid of him and wash him away completely and right as I was just about over it here he was prancing back into my life.

I didn't even notice that it had started raining until the loud sound of thunder bellowed throughout the skies. I tugged my hood further over my head until I finally reached the old gray building. I contemplated going inside. I was 20 minutes late and the session would be over soon but I didn't want to go home and I really wanted to see Josh.

I sat down at the bus bench that protected me from the rain and I just waited. I got lost in my thoughts as I watched the large raindrops splash into puddles on the road.

"Tyler?" Josh's voice woke me from my daze and I looked up suddenly to see him standing infront of me looking worried. His sweatshirt was soaked but he didn't seem to mind.

"Let me give you a ride home" He put his hand out towards me and I looked down at it for a moment before hesitantly placing my cold hand into his very warm one. He tugged lightly on my hand and I stood up and followed him into the parking lot and to his car. He opened the door for me and I got in without saying a word. There were too many thoughts racing around my head to even comprehend what was going on.

Josh jogged over to his side of the car and turned the car on as quickly as possible. He reached across the console and turned my heat all the way up as he noticed my teeth chattering together, but I continued to look straight ahead, my eyes not really focused on anything as I was lost in my head.

Josh pulled out and I watched the gloomy building disappear in the rear view mirror. Josh didn't say anything until we were at the top of the parking garage.

We sat there, just staring out straight ahead. The pattering of rain drops against the hood was the only noise.

Josh turned to me in his seat, I could see him from the corner of my eye, opening and closing his mouth, looking for the right words to say before he just sighed.

"Are you okay?" For the first time today I looked over at Josh. His usual messy hair was covered by a hat and his face just held an expression of concern.

"Yeah" I breathed out, closing my eyes and leaning back into the chair. Silence filled the car once again.

"Do you want to talk about it?" His voice was quieter this time and his eyes stayed glued to the center console.

"Talk about what?" I tried to play it off as if nothing was wrong. I never talked about my problems and I rarely let anyone in to know those problems. I refused to look Josh in the eyes but from the side of my eye I could see his disapproving face.