Breaking the Closet Door

Here I stand in front of the barrier that makes the difference between society and self-acceptance. My mother always told me people like me were evil and wretched. As for my brother and I, we stand behind this barrier to shield ourselves from the brutality that will await us on the other side. We open the door to those who love us for who we are. While others look through the barrier and see two normal people who have hair of fire and eyes of broken emeralds that have shattered due to attacks felt through our barrier. Though we can not show this pain in fear of attacks on us. Maybe one day it will be safe for us to leave our little sanctuary.

Those around us have come out of their shells. Being welcomed by friendly arms, who are cherished for who they are. While others are like us who stand by the barrier begging and pleading to escape this hell. I use the term loosely when I say I may be good to be safe in our shells but to hear the screams and yells of hate and discrimination outside the barrier are truly damaging and horrific.

The one thing that hurts more than the screams and yells. Is when they come from those of your own family and parents, the ones that made you and speak against what they have made. The ones who are meant to cherish you and love you would turn their backs on their own child because of the way they were made. Being in this barrier, being trapped in your own home unable to feel free and loved.

One day I hope to escape this barrier and find love. Those who do care for me and will embrace me with open arms. Here I stand in front of the barrier that makes the difference between society and self-acceptance. My mother always told me people like me were evil and wretched. As for my brother and I, we stand behind this barrier. If you look in, you'll see thousands upon thousands of people behind us waiting to escape. I wish to escape.

Though for now, I sit banging on the floor inside the closet door begging for the time that I can come out.

Dedicated to Gabby and all those struggling in the LGBT+ Community