Chapter 13

Beyoncé's POV

"What's this?" He asked as he picked up the miniature book sitting at the edge of my book.

"You're so nosy," I said with a slight laugh and reached out for the book before he could open it.

It's been four months since everything happened. Four months since Shawn's wife, well ex wife, let him knew that she knew. I haven't run into her, but that's probably because she spends most of her time in Chicago now. She's close to opening her spa, therefore she's been spending a lot of time there.

It's gotten to the point where she has forced Shawn to come out to Chicago a lot. She was being difficult, but I was staying out of it.

"What's in it?" He asked with his devilish grin.

"My business!" I said before laughing once more. I couldn't keep a straight face anymore. It was a brand new year – February. February the fourteenth to be exact.

"I wanna know your business," he said before opening the book slowly. At this point, I didn't care anymore. I said that I would open up to Shawn, but I simply couldn't open my mouth. Instead, I wrote it down. Him finding the book was pure coincidence. I was writing when he rang the doorbell.

I laid on the bed, and watched him read the book. He sat down on the bed next to me and began slowly running his fingers over my skin. My eyes closed as the silence filled the room.

"How's your mom?" He asked after a while.

"You read. She's refusing chemo."

"Still?"

I nodded my head. "She's tired of fighting."

"Are you upset about that?"

I looked at him and nodded. "My mother was always a fighter. The last time it came, she fought so hard because she swore up and down that she needed to stay alive to meet my child."

"Your child?"

I smirked. "She just knew I was going to either have a baby or adopt one while I was married. Neither happened. I never got pregnant. I've never even had a pregnancy scare. But she fought it. This time? She just wants to stay alive long enough for me to be happy."

"Are you?"

"I'm content."

Shawn shook his head and laid down next to me. He faced me and placed his hand on my waist. "Content's not enough. Your birth parents...are you going to meet them?"

I shrugged. "I've already met them. Do I want to talk to them and get to know them? I don't know."

"You should."

I playfully rolled my eyes at him. "How's your daughter?"

"She's great. She's actually walking a little bit now."

I could see the happiness on his face.

"She just turned one, right?"

"Yeah."

"How was the birthday party?"

"In Chicago."

"Okay? How was it?"

"I wouldn't know. She had the birthday party in Chicago when I had an important board meeting that she knew I couldn't miss."

I never talked ill about Christina. No matter how petty she'd become, I just let him tell it. I knew that he was thinking it, but I didn't see it as my place to say anything about it.