Chapter 3- New Jersey

I waited patiently in car as Edward walked toward the house. It wasn't a remarkable house. Exactly the type you would expect to find in a city suburb. Green panell's, brick stoop, black shingled roof, run-off water gently rolling down the asphalt driveway. There was only one difference between this house and the ones on either side of it, or even in the entire neighborhood. This one... held another reason for my existence. And I didn't even know the girl.

I finally grew inpatient waiting and gently opened the door. Dampness clung to my hair as I walked over the cobblestone path, a light spray hitting face. I reached Edward's side when the door opened a crack and a tiny face peaked out. I silently nudged Edward's arm to ask if this was Lexi. Edward discreetly looked to the houses on both sides of this one to signal no.

I looked back at the unimportant girl and stared at her. Her face did look remarkably familiar. Eyes wide, mouth opened slightly, eyebrows raised to her hairline, a slight paleness clinging to her cheeks. I couldn't place the face until she looked to Edward. Her face was in the same expression my was, when I found out Edward was a vampire. As this thought dawned on me, I started to remember dim shadows of my human life. I hadn't always been a vampire. I had never even thought of myself as a superior being swatting the lesser creatures like flies. As I pondered silently to myself, the girl looked Edward and me over again. Panic starting to show on her face. I looked at this scenario from her point of view. A teenage girl of about 16 or 17 years of age, sitting at home doing her own thing and a couple of strangers knock on the door. And not just any strangers. Strangers that look like gods, fashion models, and movie stars all rolled into one. She's heard the stories. A girl opens a door and is never heard from again. What to do, what to do?

I stopped looking through the girls eyes when her soft voice reached my ears.

"C-can I help you?" Her voice cracked with uncertainty, or awe.

Edward relaxed his face into a smile and did what he did best. Dazzled her tills she was weak at the knees. Her face relaxed, and her grip on the door became less tense.

"We were just wondering if a Ms. Lexi Cullen-Kane lived here?" The girl's eyes narrowed at the mention of the name and flicked to the other side of the door. A small giggle floated out from behind it and caused me to grip Edward's elbow more tightly. The girl noticed and looked at me curiously before she turned her attention back to Edward to answer.

"She does live here, but she is grounded," her tone firmer then any time before, "Her parents have told me specifically to not allow any visitors to see her. Including strangers." 

"Come on Nikki, just let them at least talk to me," complained a voice that could almost re-start my dead heart, "My parents just meant my friends."

This 'Nikki" gave a slight shush to the back of the door and continued to stare at us.

I was still to in shock to notice. That voice was so familiar, yet different. It sounded almost exactly like my voice did before the change, but mixed with the velvety, richness of Edward's voice, wrapped up in the high-pitch of Renesmee's voice.

It was the voice of an angel.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?" Nikki's suddenly nasal voice uttered as it entered my cloud nine haven. I glared at her as Edward answered and and rubbed my arm.

"No. We'll be off then."

He grabbed my arm and guided me back to the car. It wasn't until the spray was off my face and the warmth of the car heater was burning it that I spoke.

"I will see her."

"I know," Edward sighed, "I know."