(2) Magical*|Lucas' POV|

The dream kept haunting me

The dream kept haunting me. Every time I'd close my eyes I'd see it. Always the same.

I was reaching out to take her hand and from the moment mine connected with hers, I'd keep holding onto it.

It kept slipping out of my grasp.

Someone was calling her name. I realized it belonged to a man. He was shouting for her to come to him, to return where she belonged. He kept saying it, repeating words that broke my heart again and again.

"It's not him, please, believe it's not him..." A litany rising from beneath our feet up to the skies above, from somewhere down the precipice we were standing over, then up to the heavenly creatures watching over us .

Again, her name sounded with his voice shouting it.

That name, every living fiber in me craved it.

It was the name which my lips were helpless to say.

I don't know that name.

She was standing inches away from me but I couldn't see her. Her form in front of me enveloped in darkness, only her eyes visible.

Grey, like the sky that was heaving under the clouds hanging on top of it, that same sky that was ready to break on us and pour out its rage.

The Sun was missing today. His divine grace was nowhere to be found, absent from the dark depths, and I felt like I was standing naked outside in the cold.

Shivering.

A lightning descended to the earth, to where our hands were clasped together, the moment too brief for me to really make sense of what was happening before our hands broke apart. Thunder followed in a rupture of sound, tearing the very texture of the quiet.

"Lucas..." Like an echo, her voice came.

Ripped off of me, I saw her freefalling into the abyss, her frame having been illuminated by the sudden light for just a moment, suddenly swallowed back inside the darkness.

I was already starting to forget her face.

"I'm sorry." Her whisper came seconds later.

Falling to my knees, staring down, everything that my eyes could see was a pit of black as they kept searching for her shape inside the darkness.

She was gone.

Covering my face with my hands, teardrops saturated my skin as I wished the next lighting strike to hit the earth would instead collide with my body.

The skies breaking again and again, drops of water splattering the ground underneath my feet like tears trying to wash the grief away, that thunder never returned.

Letting the rain wash up the pieces of broken heart inside my chest, feeling the fabric of my clothes cold and wet against my skin, shivering inside my own body, I stayed there for a long time even though I knew it was no longer than just a couple minutes. Breathing in despair, I let my hands fall down noticing just then...