Part II

The young man stood in front of the corner shop, pretending to be scanning his eyes over the items on display behind the vitrine window

The young man stood in front of the corner shop, pretending to be scanning his eyes over the items on display behind the vitrine window. He had seen the vampire disappear into the back of the small cafe shop but where to or whom the man was meeting he had no idea.

His task was to watch and report back to Leila or if an urgency arose, he was supposed to contact Cole through the mind-link they shared.

They were not a pack in the usual sense of the word. Someone like him who had been born as a half-vampire half-werewolf could not be a part of a pack in the way normal wolves were. In his case, the mental connection he had to his alpha was something entirely different. Just like the wild wolves Cole ruled over, his connection was not created by blood exchange or slashing a claw mark across his shoulder.

Their connection was the result of mental rape. It was Cole's specialty after all. A power he didn't know his mate had in the beginning but only once Cole used it on him. He still didn't know how he felt about the fact that Cole had been able to hone that ability and no less but with the help of the soulless, or rather because of their threats. And he still didn't know how he felt about that whole thing - working with the soulless. It was a challenge for him to keep his faith now when he knew the truth.

Diverting his blue eyes towards the empty street for just a split second to check if there was any change of scenery in his surroundings, Adam shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans and moved a step away from his spot in front of the corner shop.

A few stray cats kept him company and although the traffic of pedestrians had picked up on the main street, in the small alley where he had found himself there was not a person other than himself.

He had to be careful not to be seen by the vampire because even with his hoodie on, the man was surely going to recognize him.

His mate always told him he should not disappoint their mistress when she gave him a task, but in this situation, he had no other choice but to exit the small alley and go to the main street where he could be lost from sight inside the throng of passersby.

Sauntering along the left sidewalk on the street, he soon stood in front of the cafe shop's front entrance and once again pretended to be interested in the treats displayed in a showcase close to the french windows.

Not a few minutes later, a tall tanned man nearly drove into him on his way out of the cafe. Adam tripped on his feet but before he could flop face flat onto the ground, the man's hand reached out and supported him.

"You alright, man?" the guy said with a concerned look on his face.

Looking down at the hand that still gripped his elbow, Adam couldn't help but notice the few spots of dried mud on the guy's sleeve.

"I'm fine. Thanks," Adam said and glanced up at the other guy, trying to remember the face of the person.

Now that he knew whom Michael had met, he could get back to his mate and not worry about punishment.

Letting go of his elbow, the other guy stepped away and, after a nod his way, turned to leave.

Opening the mind-link between him and Cole, Adam sent out, I found the person Michael met. What do I do now, Cole?

Follow then report back. And try not to get caught, came in reply.

Nodding his head, Adam then remembered that Cole couldn't see him. Copy that, Alpha.

Slowly, he followed after the man he had just stumbled upon.

An hour and countless of near misses later, he stood in the midst of a forest, looked at the tents elevated just past the treeline and knew that he had finally done it.

Cole, he shouted into the link, his voice filled with excitement he hadn't felt for ages. I did it, Cole. I found them. We can now be free from the soulless.

Let me see, came into the link.

Even though they were not official, even though they kept their being mates a secret, the very fact should have stopped Cole from doing what he did. It didn't stop him. Before Adam could even respond, he felt the shadow hands of his mate's mind slip into him as the man violated his own mate, pushing Adam back as he took the front seat in his body.

Hours later, as Adam watched the tents bursting into flames as the soulless carried the fire into the peaceful camp of magicals, he could not remember a thing he did after Cole had told him, 'Let me see.'

It was all a haze as if his mind had been swept into a fog that couldn't be cleared away. Yet, when the first scream for help came, Adam felt like he would cry.

And he did. Just later. When Leila dragged the girl he had thought dead into the camp. Then, he did cry.

#Anyone wondering why I put this song here?

It's a great song but hey, that's not the only reason. This could sum up Cole and Adam's relationship so there... my reason :)

I hope you like the song and the glimpse I just gave you of Cole and Adam's F-ed up relationship.

Let me know what you think and don't forget to tap on the star below ;-)

Love, 

Alsey