Part III

Occupied in their hushed conversation, two shadows that looked human but were nothing of the kind stood a few feet from each other

Occupied in their hushed conversation, two shadows that looked human but were nothing of the kind stood a few feet from each other. One of the figures was dressed in a buttoned-up black raincoat, a pair of black pants and leather booths. The other wore a dark red cloak with the hem of a blue skirt showing. It was the only indication as of what their genders were beside the distinctive sounds of their voices—one deep and low in its timbre and the other slightly more melodic. A male and a female. They kept their conversation quiet, their figures unmoving. You couldn't see their faces in the darkness, but even if you tried, you would have seen nothing but dark substance and their glowing red slits peeking from it.

"I thought you had things under control on your end so why did you come here, Leila?" the male hissed at the other figure.

A loud rumble of a distant clap of thunder followed the man's words soon to fade away. The woman angled her cloaked head down, portraying submission as she acknowledged her companion' superiority, then spoke, "I came to seek your advice, your highness. The girl almost incapacitated us with her souls and I'm afraid she might restore the bond."

A sigh followed, drawn out and martyred. "You managed to land yourself in quite the mess, Leila," the man commented dryly.

"Forgive me, your highness."

"Nothing is lost yet. In fact, I think you may be able to get us rid of more enemies than we initially hoped. Why don't you use that pet of yours, Leila? With his ability, he could easily control her if need be. Besides, what about the mark on you? Isn't it working?"

Leila knew that it was. She could feel it—both the fire and the pain, desire and heartbreak. "I'm just not confident it would work with these two. The wolf seems to love her--"

"Lust!" The male's hiss of annoyance interrupted her little speech. She knew her master despised the very mention of the sentiment, even more when it was spoken about as if it could actually have some substance.

"Your highness, forgive me, but I think it's more than lust. I think he really--"

"Nonsense, Leila! They are animals. They are just following their bodies' desires."

She bobbed her head in defeat. She knew she wasn't going to win such an argument with the darkest one of them.

"I think it's going to work out the way it's supposed to and you keep watching. The right moment will present itself and once the girl is incapacitated by your pet, the rest will be easy. No wolf could stand against us and live, remember."

She did remember. She just remembered more than her master wanted her to. The victories and the losses both.

"And once you've dealt with that wolf and his pack, you get rid of the rest. Let her live, see how strong she is when she's alone. I daresay she'd be more than willing to assist our rise once she realizes there's no one to help her."

Or she would but give up, die instead of help them rise, Leila thought but refrained from voicing her opinion.

"Now go. The storm will descend upon us soon and I'd rather be back inside my castle then be drenched," he master urged her, harshness in his voice.

She went. He stayed to look after her, worry nibbling at the corner of his evil mind.

He hadn't told her, but he knew it existed. Love.