(8) Gifted*|Scarlet's POV|

Torn to pieces, my body walked further into the house, farther and farther from where my soul was crying out his heart

I wouldn't be listening to that sound of despair. I wouldn't let it tear apart the last part of me that still lived after him. It was that darkness, that need for revenge or maybe justice that was letting me leave my dream behind.

The hardest thing I'd ever done... breaking his heart and breaking mine. Leaving shattered pieces behind.

Coming into the kitchen where I knew they were waiting for me, I wouldn't look at either of them, I wouldn't tell them what I had just done to him. They knew.

"It's time to go." This was what I said. "You take care of him now, Healer. Help him move on." 

Not waiting for her answer, I took the bag of clothes waiting for me by the door and strolled out of the place that had been both a home and a prison for me. 

This is real. This is final. This is nothing like last time.

It hurt.

Placing his hand on my shoulder, I could feel the warmth coming off from Lucas even in that dark place I'd fallen into. "Are you alright, Scarlet?" he was asking.

The sun was setting behind the trees. Darkness was slowly swallowing the last rays of light for the day that were never to come back the same.

Bright. Warm. Loving the earth.

"No," I said, moving his hand away. It was all gone now.

Walking to the car, sliding into the passenger' seat, I waited for him to take his place next to me. That kiss we shared - our first and last kiss, it was all in the back of my mind while Regan occupied all that was left.

It would be that way from now on. Living in regret while seeking my stupid justice. Living in the past while protecting them because that was what I should do... live in the darkness after him.

'There just isn't any other way,' this was what I said to myself while listening to the purring engine of the car that kept bringing me farther and farther from happiness.

Sun rising up in the skies, traveling on its way up and down, then melting behind the horizon to be replaced by a cruel Goddess, I couldn't even count the miles we traveled in silence. 

All there was now between that stranger and I was that silence.

An accomplice in my betrayal, did he know that he had already lost his chance? Or was he still hoping for another moment like the one we'd shared before I went to break my man's heart? Has he now realized he was just a means to an end? Once and then I wondered, yet I could never ask. I'd been more cruel in a day than for my entire life.

Like waking up from a dream, it was when he stopped the car that I came back to myself.

The place looked like a camping site. Tents elevated everywhere in sight, some suitable for just a few people, others much bigger.