Chapter 7

When I was in my first term Carrie and I would go to my home pod afterwards.  My house was usually vacant because my mother was usually at the space station and my father is the secretary of U.S country, so they were constantly busy.  

      Not that this really mattered.  Just because in U.S country we were allowed some freedom does not mean that we ran around singing and laughing.  Even in U.S country we knew that our world had been a cold and dark one for a while now.  Even before the third war.  That meant that robotic nannies were used for many children, after all they were extremely convenient for our parents.

      Carrie and I were going to my home pod using the tubes and on the way we passed a man and a woman.  The man was shielding the woman from an officer as they argued.

"Sir we haven't done anything wrong. Please just let us go home" said the man.

"You aren't going anywhere until you come with me and we get this straightened out at the station" said the officer.

"Please sir, we haven't done anything wrong I swear on my life" said the woman.

"Your life you say?" the officer scuffed.  He then grabbed the woman from behind the man and pushed her to the ground.  Where he proceeded to shot her in the head.

The man screamed.

"Emotions like that, get you killed boy let her be a lesson. Now are we going to go to the station or do you wish to join her?" the officer asked.

The man fell to the ground and hugged the body of the dead woman. He spat on the officer's boots.

"You filthy pest!" the officer said and kicked him in the stomach "The next thing you say will decide whether your next breath is your last, I suggest you choose carefully" the officer said pointing his gun at the man. 

The man interlaced his finger's with the woman's and layed on the ground " do it" he said crying.

And just like that the officer shot him as well.

The officer turned to everyone in the tubes, who by now were too scared to go to their home pods.

"Anyone else have anything smart to say?" He yelled.

Carrie and I remained frozen in our places and experienced the most painful silence we had ever felt.

That day I realized there was a flaw to the system our planet cherished so much.  Because those who have everything will stop at nothing to save it.  And those without anything will stop at nothing at all.  

And I don't really know who to be more afraid of.

________________________________________________________________________

One thing I got wrong about that memory was that I said it was the most painful silence I had ever experienced.

It was the second.

When I called some random boy in the NASA ET communications center.  That was the most painful silence I had ever experienced.

"Carrie, what have I done?" I whispered.

"Well, for one you've gotten me fired." she said.

"Matt can you track down his signal for us?" I asked.

"On it" Matt said grabbing his I gram out of his pocket.

Then we heard a tapping sound coming from the screen

"Li-mee Ma skali-zzzloza elzzzlaki kijalolo ti-kili-zzz"  said the boy.

"Um, Carrie. What is he?" I asked.