6

"We haven't see each other for a month now, and I miss you so bad!"
"I miss you, too. It's just that, I am so busy," replies Cassandra on the other line.
"And Lola misses you already, babe." Jeremiah rests his iPhone in between his ear and shoulder as he unbuttons his white shirt, then puts the phone on speaker mode, so he can freely move as he takes off his shirt and put on a new one. This time it's a plain red cotton shirt.
"Please tell Lola that I miss her, too."
"You know what, we are in the same country yet it feels like we're in a long distance relationship. Cassie, I came all the way to Manila just to be with you, babe."
"Babe, you came all the way to Manila to attend a session at the congress."
"That is just another reason why I am here. Anyway, Lola's birthday day is next month already, and I am hoping you can attend."
"Of course I will be there, babe." Cassandra checks her watch. "Babe, I am sorry, I have to go. I'll call you back tonight, OK? Enjoy your trip back to Ilocos. Be safe."
"OK babe, I love.." Cassandra immediately hangs up the phone. Jeremy let's out a sigh, then he grabs his laptop and puts it on top of his bedside table. He turns it on, checks his emails and finds that he got a new email from his cousin, Simon Velasquez.

Hey bro,

Are you in Manila? I'll be back from Sydney in two weeks. Maybe we should hang out. I miss everyone, especially Lola. Hoping to visit Ilocos soon.

Simon

Simon is way younger than him, but he considers him his closest friend and best cousin.

Jeremy stops for a few seconds to think of what would reply, then he types:

Hey cuz!

What's up? Been busy since the elections, but I am here in Manila at the moment. Although, I'll be flying back to Paoay this afternoon.

Not really in a good mood lately. I'll tell you why when we meet. Take care, bro! We miss you, too. We should throw a party when you arrive.

Jeremy

He browses his Facebook fanpage, which oftentimes is managed by one of his office staff. But this time he logs in to it, and posts:

I'll be attending President Dolores' SONA in two weeks. But for now, it's time to go back to Batac.

He turns off his laptop, puts it in its bag, and carries it with him. As he gets out of their house, his mom meets him at the door. Senator Hidalgo embraces him, and he kisses the top of her head.
"Take care, son. I will miss you again."
"I'll miss you, too, Mom. Take care of yourself. Don't stress yourself too much."
"I will take care, son. OK. I'll see you at the SONA. Please let me know once you arrive in Batac."
"I will, Ma."He gets in his black Mercedes which takes him to his condo in BGC.

His dad's helicopter awaits him on the rooftop. This has always been his service vehicle since he can remember when.