15.

Tonya's POV**

Who is Cassandra, I ask myself. I am curious to know who she is, and why Jeremy's grandmother tells him she is no good. Yet, I find no courage to ask Jeremy who she is. It is too early.

When lola Isabel has left, Jeremy shows me around his house. It is quite big, especially for someone who lives alone. But then I realise he is a politician, and maybe he invites guests here from time to time. 

He takes me to his lawn, and then to his backyard, where there is an infinity pool. His house is on top of a hill, that's overlooking the town of Batac. Jeremy's house is honestly cozy, and now I can finally imagine the life that he lives. He is a rich bachelor, eligible and available only to the people from the high society like him. We are polar opposites, and I do not need to dig down deep about him for me to know that.

"I believe you wish to rest. Your foot might hurt already. My bad, you did too much walking just this afternoon." He scratches the back of his head, like it's some sort of a mannerism to him.

"I'm alright. But I'd like to take a shower now." I tell him. He offers his arm and I hold on to it. "Jeremy?" I ask as we start walking back to his house.

"Yes?" He glances at me.

"I am sorry, but I just noticed something."

"You are free to notice everything in my house, Tonya." He laughs a bit.

"Your house is too big for someone who lives alone."

"Wait until you see my grandmother's house." He smiles at me. 

"Whoa. I cannot believe there are really people like you who have big houses. Our house in Cabanatuan will fit inside your kitchen!"

"Don't be exaggerated." He laughs.

"I am serious." We stop at the foot of the staircase. "Don't you feel so alone, and so sad here?"

He sighs and smiles. "Well, I actually designed this house." He looks around the house. "I worked as an architect before I entered politics. I built this house for my own family in the future."

"Good for you."

"Well, not quite. I don't know where it's actually going."

"I am sorry, Jeremy. I don't understand. Did I say anything wrong?" He walks me to the receiving hall, and asks me to sit down in his sofa. He sits beside me - no more than two inches from me.

"It's not your fault. OK. Let's be fair. I know your story. And now I guess it's time for me to share mine." He looks into my eyes, looks down at his hand, and says, "I have a girlfriend. We had a fight the night the accident happened. Actually, she has been so cold towards me for the past months, and sometimes, it feels like I am no longer in a relationship with her."

"Is this girl named, Cassandra?" I ask him.

"Yes. Cassandra Manuel. She is a former beauty queen. She is beautiful, yes. But then..." He looks at me - stares at me, and then breathes heavily.

"And then...?"

"I don't know. It's as if a beautiful face and body isn't everything, after all. My lola, as well as my mom, doesn't like her. Actually, my whole family doesn't like her. Her attitude has changed. And I guess I am the only one fighting now. I have been trying to call her. I have been texting her. But she doesn't answer my calls, or my text messages. Tonya, I do not know if I should hold on, or let go."

I feel a tingling pain in my chest when as I hear him speak about Cassandra. "I don't know her, to be honest. And I do not believe I am in the position to say anything about you and Cassandra, but all I can say is, I'll pray for you. I'll pray for discernment if she is the right girl for you."

"I don't know, Tonya. This has been making me crazy."

"I understand. It's hard..." I sigh. "Do you love her?"

"Of course I love her." There it is. And this time I know I need to let him go, and just pray about it. Then he says something. "But... I don't know. I don't know if I still love her. I don't know if it's really worth it. I don't know if it's still worth the fight. Maybe, just maybe, I was just infatuated all along, because she is beautiful. I don't know. I don't understand."

"Look," I say. And without any malice, I grab his hand and hold it in between my palms. He shows no reluctance about it  "I know it hurts. I know how it feels, believe me. But then, whatever happens, we'll see that God's plans are always good and pleasing and perfect. It may not always be what we thought we wanted, but have faith that He will give you the best. No matter what happens, just remember, that someday, someday, someone will hug you so tight that no matter how broken you are, all of your broken pieces will stick back together, and you will be whole again. I've been telling it to myself a lot of times lately. And now, maybe you need that assurance, too."

Jeremy looks at me, and squeezes my hand. "You must be too kind. And I do not know what happened between you and that guy Daniel, but he lost a great treasure when he left you. He's blind - and stupid. And you know what? One day you'll find that guy who will love you completely. Get over Daniel." We both laugh. 

My heart laughs.

We walk back to the foot of the staircase, but before we take a step up, Jeremy sweeps me off my feet and lifts me.

"What are you doing?" I ask him.

"Carrying you. Do you think you can even climb the stairs in your condition?"

"Maybe..."

"No, Tonya. My house, my rules!" He furrows his brows, and continues to carry me upstairs, until we are in front of my bedroom door. "Here is your bedroom." He unlocks the door, and I am astounded to see how pretty and neat it is. And it is bigger than I thought.

"Jeremy, this room is really nice. And it's too..." I say, but he cuts me. 

"Too big again, Tonya? This is the guest room." He steps inside and walks around my room. He opens the window curtains, and the door to the veranda. I follow him to the veranda. I have my own veranda, and it's overlooking the town of Batac. Below the veranda, I can see the infinity pool. This is so much more than I even imagined. "The veranda on your right is the veranda to my bedroom."

His room is beside mine.

He shows me my bathroom, which is too exquisite. My bathroom has a bath tub, and a hot and cold shower. This is too overwhelming.

"Well, I hope you'll find your stay here very pleasant." 

This is more of a grand vacation for me.

We walk back to the veranda and he shows me the surroundings. "I know you cannot swim yet, but you are free to use the swimming pool when you are already able. Feel free to walk in the garden, in the lawn, in the backyard. And do not worry, I am not some sort of a beast who would prohibit you from visiting one of the rooms here." 

"Well, you don't look like a beast to me." I shrug.

"Good." He smiles. Even his stubble looks good on him. 

We walk back to my room. "Feel free to use the library, and the kitchen and all the other areas of the house. In case you need anything, and I am not home, feel free to ask any of the people here for assistance. Don't worry, they don't bite." I cannot believe this man trusts me enough to accommodate me here. Or maybe he has done a 'background check'. He is powerful, after all. 

"OK. Thank you very much, Jeremy."

"You are welcome." He bows his head. "I believe you wish to take a shower? I will be in my room, which is just next door. I'll see you later." He steps out of the room and I close the door. 

I hate this feeling in my chest.