Dysfunctional

'Mom you need to get yourself sorted out, you have fucking anger issues' i shout at my mum before slamming the dining room door. I'm Savannah, and my mom has anger issues, she doesn't like to admit it, but constant shouting at everyone in our house must mean something right?

I live on the West coast of the USA, Californian born and raised. I share a large house with my mom, dad, sister Reanne and brother Jai. We're a normal family, well, we used to be. After my mum lost a child due to miscarriage, she's never been the same. My mom and I were so close before that happened, but now the only time we talk is when we're arguing. I understand it must have been hard for her, but taking your anger out on your family isn't going to build a strong relationship with them.

Her and dad are constantly arguing too, i almost ran away last year. I had some things packed in a rucksack and I was ready to leave that night, I didn't know where i was going, I just wanted to get away. Luckily my best friend Sydney talked me out of it, she moved to California 5 years ago and I couldn't ask for a better friend, she's helped me through so much...

Welcome to the life of a dysfunctional family.

___________

It was mid-december, the frosty, bitter air making my hands sore, even in early afternoon. I turned the corner into the empty alleyway and felt a tug on my arm. I screamed out in shock and fear, but as I spun round, my long blonde waves swirling in the cold air, i came to see a familiar face, my body relaxed and voice silenced.

'Savannah, i've been meaning to catch you around, where have you been?' i wasn't telling anyone that I was sat at home constantly listening to the raised voice of my mother, which had an affect my diognosis with depression.

'Major illness' I exclaimed to the brown haired boy, towering 4inches over me.

'Well make sure your major illness has cleared up before my 16th birthday on saturday' he said, before handing me a small gold envelope, sealed with a red bow.

'I'm sure I can manage that' I laughed and thanked the boy for my invite, before heading home.

Keaton was one of the popular guys in 10th grade. His good looks probably had an impact on that. Keaton was 5"10, towering over most students in our grade. He had dark brown hair and vibrant green eyes. His chesnut colored skin and toned body only added to his attractiveness. Most girls had a crush on him, but Keaton was one of my best friends, and I didnt plan on anything more.

As i fished around for my house key in my jeans pockets, I realised I must have forgotten to bring them out with me. I clench my fists and knock the polished wooden door, slamming my numb, red knuckles against the wood. After a few seconds I hear footsteps and am greeted by a short, red-head smiling at me.

'Hey Savannah, hurry up its freezing out there' My older sister Reanne was always looking out for me. I agreed with her and walked into the lounge, throwing my jacket onto the soft couch.

'Savannah put that jacket away, i'm not picking up after you' exclaimed my mother, in a quiet but frustrated tone. I grab the jacket with bruised hands and make my way up the twisting staircase. I put away my jacket and head to the bathroom, turn on the hot bath tap, and throw my LUSH bath bomb into the boiling water.