Chapter 29

"I'll walk her to her room," Asher said decisively, glaring at Mario and grabbing my hand, "I'm sure we can find it. Alphabetized, correct?" He started dragging me across the carpet.

"Asher I'm supposed to stay with you guys until-" Mario started. 

"I don't care," Asher snapped, leaving me in an awkward position. He pulled at my arm, causing me to wince. Mario stared at us. "And we don't need seperate rooms. Not that far away."

"Ouch Asher," I whispered, and he loosened his grip.

"I'm sure we'll be fine," I told Mario awkwardly.

"I still have to go with you," Mario said, looking angry and confused. "It's my duty."

"Fine but hurry up," Asher growled, barely audible, marching me down the hall.

We got to room 2K, and I slid my card, the black lock flashing green. Inside was small, cozy, basically a hotel. There was even a decent sized bathroom. Now that I thought about it, the whole place probably was an old hotel. I set my card down on the oak table. Asher let my wrist go and I sat on the bed. 

"You can leave now," Asher practically barked at Mario. 

"Asher, I have to make sure you both get to your rooms safe. You can't stay," Mario said, looking embarrassed. "So I'll walk you, come on." 

"Yes I can," Asher argued, "We've been living together for over a month." 

"We'll be fine," I tried to smile at Mario but Asher interrupted. 

"You can leave now." 

Mario looked torn. 

"Asher, just go," I said flatly. He glanced at me and stormed out. 

"Fine."

"Well bye, Autumn," Mario said before closing the door gently. 

I couldn't sleep well that night, too worried about everything. Although Mario said the clock was accurate, meaning it was probably only 5:30, we had to stay in our rooms most the day, for "security reasons." Mario also said he stayed with his family by night, which means if Asher was awake, then I could talk with him. I grabbed my key card, opened my door and peeked out. The lights were on, just dimmer. A security guard was standing in the middle of the rooms, on his phone. He looked in his mid thirties, with a scruffy brown beard. I tiptoed along, hoping he wouldn't see me. 

"Excuse me, Miss?" The guard called. I froze, the door on my right reading 2F. 

"Yes?" I turned around slowly. I probably looked really suspicious. 

"Why are you out of your room this late?" 

I put on my best innocent face and shrugged. "Well you see sir, my brother and I got in seperate rooms and I just miss him, so I was going to visit him." 

The guard knit his eyebrows together suspiciously. "Fine, but I insist to walk you." 

"That's ok, it's only a few feet," I said, quickly turning and panicking on the inside. 

"It's my job, Miss," The guard insisted, quickly catching up to me. I braced myself for trouble and knocked on Asher's door. 

He didn't answer at first. It took a minute or two. The guard and I stood in an awkward silence. 

When he pulled open the door, spotting the security guard, he flashed me a smile. "Oh, Autumn. What trouble have you gotten into this time?" 

I turned to the guard, taking a step towards him. "See, my brother is always joking around. Thanks for escorting me, you can go now." I emphasized the brother part so Asher would catch on.