Chapter 62

The next day, my anger and confidence renewed (I was pissed at this point), and I tried to explain my theory to Drew. 

We were sitting in the library. 

"I see what you're saying, and it makes sense," Drew said. 

"I'm waiting for a 'but'," I said flatly. 

"But do you really think she's capable of that? It seems too crazy," Drew said, offering me an apologetic smile. 

I kept my face blank, "Well, honestly, I do. But apparently everyone else does." 

"I'm not saying she isn't," Drew compromised, running a hand through his short brown hair. "I'll side with you on this one." 

I brightened. "Really?" 

He smiled, "Sure Autumn. Really." 

I saw Asher visiting Luke but I avoided him. Good for him. It is his brother after all

Hell. Aka eating lunch as a group. 

The girls sat on one side, the guys on the other, as always. Mario, although my group was used to him by now, he preferred not to piss Asher off again, especially since he was now injured. 

We had pasta, spaghetti specifically. 

Athena twirled her pasta around her fork, batting her eyelashes at Asher, "So when's your next assignment?" 

I tuned in. I didn't know either. 

"This Thursday," Asher said. Today was Tuesday. I frowned. He hadn't given us much time. 

"Why didn't you tell us sooner?" I said, trying to keep my voice calm. 

"I found out this morning," Asher shrugged, shoving a meatball into his mouth. 

"Oh," I said defeated. 

"I have to tell Marisa and Jack too," Asher said, almost to himself. 

"And Tobin, I heard you might be moving up a class! Congrats," I grinned at him. 

He smiled proudly, "Yeah. I've been working really hard." 

"Good for you," Alice said beside me, shooting him a thumbs-up. 

"Thanks," He said shyly. 

"I've been working on arms, since I broke my leg," Athena said, glancing at her arms. Of course everything is about you.

"Cool," Charlotte said nonchalantly. 

"Yeah it is. It really is such a bummer I fell when I did." She laughed, but didn't mention John. 

"Yep. John is so nice for helping you," I hinted. 

"Yeah." Athena looked up for a quick second. "We've gotten pretty close lately." 

"Ooh, Athena," I said, raising an eyebrow. 

"Not like that," She chuckled, nearly glancing at Asher, "We've just been talking a lot. Plus he has a girlfriend."  

I thought back to when we first met him, how he suggested taking the course of "suggested action." I guessed either that was a really personal speech, perhaps what he did and recommended, or a really planned out convincing government trick.  I nodded, "Oh. I see." Charlotte kicked me under the table. I glanced at her eyes, reading, Calm downnnn. 

I looked down in silence, feeling once again how tired my body was. My joints, knees and ankles, were sore, as well as my arms. I felt like the weakest human being. I hunched over my plate in a sulking fashion. 

"So Athena, what's your story?" Drew asked curiously. I had to resist snapping my head up. 

"My story?" Athena laughed, flipping her perfect hair, "What does that mean?" 

Drew hesitated for a half second. "Like, what's your family like? Any siblings? Pets? Life before the apocalypse? And how'd you escape?" 

"I see," Athena said, nodding slowly, her green eyes searching Drew's soft brown ones for underlying motifs. 

I tried not to appear too eager for her answer, and stuffed a meatball in my mouth. 

"I had a dog," Athena said, "Golden retriever. Her name was Bella. I lost her after my family first heard about the Facilities." It bothered me that she used our nickname for the hell Mrs. T. had enslaved us in. Basic girl, basic dog breed, basic dog name. I shrugged mentally. Take that back, Bella is probably cute. 

"I was an only child. My dad divorced my mom when I was little."

Drew nodded sympathetically. I felt a pang for him. 

"My mom heard about the Facilities from one of her mom friends." Wow, she actually teared up a little bit. Impressive acting skills. 

"She took me, getting bitten at the last second. I've seen people recover from being bitten before, and it made me mad they'd use it on someone else, more undeserving." She was throwing shade at me, but I tried to focus on how faulty her story was. "We had to leave Bella... She was too loud." Athena wiped at her eyes. "I wonder sometimes if she lived...

"They left my mom, killed her actually," Athena said, her eyes flashing. "I couldn't do anything. I've hated that place ever since. They just enslave everyone." Isn't that what they do here? The realization hit me. Well, screw it. I want to live. 

"I found you guys," Athena smiled slightly, throwing her hair back and twirling her pasta, glancing at Asher, then Tobin. "And luckily, they wanted to save you too Autumn," She smiled at me, sickly sweet. 

I smiled back, copying her fake smile. "Yeah. They're my friends. Of course they did." 

"Of course," Athena looked down, still smiling. "Uh, anyway, that's about it." 

Drew nodded, reaching out and touching her shoulder. "I'm so sorry," He said sympathetically. Is he for real? Is he switching sides? Not now... She has to be the spy... right? 

Athena smiled through tears, "Thank you." 

*** a/n 

Ugh guys, I feel bad for keeping track of what day it in the story (Tuesday, Thursday, I don't even know). I apologize for this, but I don't think I'll be fixing it :( 

Also, I believe I may have spelled "John" as "Jon" for a few chapters, so I apologize about that and will try to go back and check it soon. 

I hope the plot isn't too cliche :0

Thanks for your support :) <3