Chapter 80

"Okay okay, truce!" I laughed, covering my face with my hand and trying to bat Asher away with the other. I'd been winning for the past five minutes, but he'd torn the pillow out of my hands and was now whacking me in the face with it. 

"Hey guess what I remember?" Asher asked me, finally relenting. I uncovered my face and grinned at him. 

"What?" 

He gave me a mysterious smile. Did we do something I don't remember...?

But before I had too much time to ponder, he poked his finger into my side, causing me to try and jump back. Oh right. He knows I'm ticklish. 

"No!" I screeched, grinning as I wrapped my arms around myself. "It's not fair!" 

But Asher continued, and I kicked out, almost kicking him in the ribs. 

Soon, my jaw hurt from laughing. Asher was getting tired, too. He grabbed my arms, pinning me down. 

"NO!" I yelled, unable to stop smiling. "I said I give up! Truce! You win." 

"Mmm," Asher said, staring down at me as I squirmed. 

"What?" I panted, feeling shy. I gave up and laid still. 

Asher shook his head. I took this moment to push him off and fling away from him. 

Yes, in doing this, I fell dangerously close to the edge, where I nearly fell. Asher's arm grabbed me and pulled me back up. 

We both laughed, but I still stayed far from his side in case he wasn't done tickle-torturing me yet. We kind of laid there in our own separate space. When I looked back at Asher, we both looked away, smiling. 

"Did you kick them out just for me?" I asked, leaning farther onto his side. 

"You know it," He said, leaning closer toward me. He seemed to reconsider and slid off. I watched him curiously. "Come on," He said, coaxing me with his hand. 

I looked at him hesitantly. 

"I won't tickle you again," He said, close to rolling his eyes. 

I rolled off the bed and walked to his side. 

"They should have a game room here," I said, almost to myself. 

"I guess," Asher said, opening the door. "Or TV's." 

"Oh yeah that'd be cool," I said, and had a dizzy memory float into my brain. 

We were watching the basketball game... 

"You know, it's kind of boring when we're not in the field, but I'm really glad we aren't," I said, looking into his face. 

"I'm glad we're not," Asher said, swallowing slowly. "I think they're going to retire you." 

"Yeah, I know," I started to say, "And- Wait. Me? What about you?" 

"Well..." Asher said, looking down. 

"Asher? Tell me." I said, setting my jaw in determination. We stepped out into the hall and Asher locked the door. 

"They could still... use me," Asher said, his nose wrinkling slightly. "Anything could happen, really. I'm not saying they aren't going to retire me just... not right now." 

"But..." I said, almost a whisper. 

"You know what?" Asher said, turning to face toward me. "Let's go talk to the nurse lady." 

"What?" I said, shaking my head. "Wait, I'm confused." 

"You can't go back on that pill. It makes you a zombie." 

I winced at his lack of better language. "I know. When I'm on the pill I'm just... not myself." 

"Not at all," Asher shook his head, agreeing. 

"But wait, don't change the subject! They aren't going to retire you?" I said, a wave of anger and fear surging through me. 

"Autumn-" Asher held up his hands, a caution sign. "It's dangerous, you could have a panic attack..." 

"I don't f*cking care," I growled. Talk about mood swings. "I don't want to lose you..." 

"Well I don't really have a choice," Asher said apologetically. 

"Let's go talk to the nurse," I said quickly, grabbing his arm and marching toward the medical rooms. 

"And this is your new prescription," The nurse said, smiling gently at me. "If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to ask." 

"Thank you," I smiled shyly, and took the bottle. More pills. Fun.

Asher and I walked down the hall. 

"Thank you," I said. 

Asher nodded silently. 

***  a/n 

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh