•2•

Stephanie's POV

    I woke up abruptly when I heard a door slam shut. The vibrations rocked the wooden house and I could tell that Mathew wasn't in a good mood. When is he ever? I quickly got up and ran into the bathroom. I changed into a black jeans and sleeveless blouse, throwing on a lace cardigan. I tied my medium length hair into a ponytail and walked out the bathroom. I picked up my phone and wallet and slowly opened my room door. Seeing no one down the hallway, I rushed downstairs into the kitchen. I made toast and eggs and poured two glasses of orange juice. Hopefully this is what he wanted, I didn't want a repeat of last week. I placed his plate across from me and sat down in my seat. I waited. He walked down the stairs around 10 minutes later. He sat down, not bothering to greet me. I watched him take a bite and paused. He then continued to eat and I let out a sigh I didn't know I was holding in. We ate in silence. After we were both finished, I took our plates to the sink and started to wash them. When I glanced behind me, his legs was propped on the kitchen table and he was staring at me.

"I'm going out today," I told him quietly. He nodded slowly, processing what I said.

"I'm taking you out tonight at 6 so don't be back late. We're going with the gang to the abandoned plant," he replied and got up from the table. I made a face of slight disgust. I placed the last plate on the dish rack and turned, leaning on the counter.

"I don't want to go," I told him, although it sounded more like I asked him. The more time I spent away from him, the happier I am. He narrowed his eyes at me and stepped forward menacingly.

"You're going to go and that's final," he said, trapping me against the counter between his arms. I looked at his shoes and didn't reply. He grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him.

"Are we clear?" he asked. I nodded. He chuckled darkly.

"I need an answer babe," he taunted.

"Yes...Mathew," I said and he let go of my chin. He walked out of the room and then the front door slammed shut. I jumped at the sound.

We'd need a new door soon. I took out my cellphone and called Logan.

"Mellow!" he answered casually. I chuckled at his childishness.

"Cello!" I replied.

"Steph, you good?" he asked. I nodded my head but then realized he wasn't physically here with me.

"Yeah, he just left, I'm coming over now," I replied. I heard shuffling in the background.

"No, don't! I mean, we should meet by the ice-cream parlor." He told me. I raised an eyebrow at his behavior.

"Okay? See you in a few," I said. He said goodbye and I hung up. I left the house, gently closing and locking the door behind me. 

Eventually, I made it to the ice-cream shop close-by where Logan sat in a booth waiting for me. He saw me and his face lit up as he motioned for me to come closer quickly. When he saw my face, his expression immediately darkened. He could still see the bruise under all the makeup I dabbed on. He got up and stood in front of me. All of a sudden I felt as if a million eyes were watching me. I looked at Logan and saw him looking at my cheek. Without hesitation Logan pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and melted in his embrace. A sob escaped me and he patted my head and rubbed my back.

"Shh it's going to be alright, I'm here. I'll always be here," he comforted me. I pushed my face into the crook of his neck as we stood there for a while. He stood there, whispering sweet comforts into my ear as I tried to get ahold of myself. We broke away sometime after and sat opposite to each other. I saw that my chocolate brownie with vanilla ice-cream that he ordered for me was melted. It became a brownie trying to swim in a sea of vanilla. I smiled solemnly at it. Logan cleared his throat and I looked up at him.