Chapter 5

"Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself."
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Even after tricking William out of the nightclub, he still refused to ignore me. For at least two weeks, he attempted to make conversation. At first, I'd been polite, but that lasted only a short while. I lost my temper too easily with him and finally told him to leave me alone. Miraculously, I got through to him, and no other words were exchanged except when I passed him in the halls, which he would greet me cheerfully with "Hello, Miss Stark." He tried calling me Annie again, but I shut him down.

My day at the palace ended early, meaning I could start my shift at Donaldson's sooner rather than later. Monday night wouldn't be busy, which was a relief. Exhaustion hit me by noon, and I dreaded how I would last at the pub tonight.

James offered to walk me there since he got off early too. I accepted, glad to have the company. We were just about to leave the palace when a voice queried, "Are you two a couple?"

James and I turned around. William leaned on the stair rails in front of us.

"No, we're not," James replied with an amused smirk. "I'm just walking Anna to work."

"Donaldson's, correct?"

I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. "How'd you know?"

"I might've been drunk when you got me out of that club, but I remember you saying something about Donaldson's. You certainly weren't there to drink, so you must be there to work. Also, I've been there a few times before." Will held his hands up in a peaceful gesture when he noticed my disgusted expression. "This was before you started working for us; long before I ever met you. I promise."

"Huh... I think I'd remember if the Prince of Verona came into Donaldson's. You're not thinking of coming to visit me there are you?"

 You're not thinking of coming to visit me there are you?"

Will chuckled. "No, I won't harass you outside of the palace. Where are you going, James?"

"Like I said, I'm walking Anna to work and then heading to my place. Why?"

"Just curious. I'll see you two tomorrow. James, Miss Stark." Will bowed his head before leaving. I stared after him, utterly confused.

"Is he always that... weird?" I asked.

James laughed. "He's something, that's for sure. Come on, let's go."

Pushing William out of my mind, I focused on my conversation with James. We talked about our interests and hobbies, what we liked to eat, what our favorite movies, books, and shows were, and more. We had a surprisingly similar taste in... well, everything. He wasn't a big drinker either, although he would go out to have a good time once in a while. I didn't mind that.

"Any siblings?" James questioned, looking down at me.

I tensed, not sure how I should bring up my sister. I opted to just be simplistic in my answer and hope he didn't enquire further. "Yeah, I have a younger sister. What about you?"