Chapter 9

"Every new friend is a new adventure... the start of more memories." ~Patrick Lindsay

"Seriously, Will, what are you wearing? Did you even bother to change last night?" A girl chastised lightly. Her tone hinted that she desperately wanted to laugh. I couldn't recognize who it was. They sounded too young to be the queen or Patty.

I continued Swiffering the hallway floors, pretending I wasn't listening. I doubted anything of importance would be said, but eavesdropping took out the monotony of the task.

"I was busy and tired, not to mention I got in a fight. Cut me some slack," Will mumbled. I involuntarily cringed at the memory of last night, feeling terrible that he got injured trying to rescue me.

"What do you mean you got in a fight? Were you drunk? Trying to prove yourself to a lady? Trying to protect a damsel in distress?"

"I mean what I said. I got in a fight. No, I was not drunk, I don't need to prove myself to anyone, and I hardly call her a damsel in distress."

"Fine. Just get dressed. Lunch is in a few minutes." I heard some shuffling around, presumably Will getting out of bed. Everly threatened she'd steal the shirt he was going to wear if he didn't hurry up. He obviously didn't take her seriously until Everly dashed out of his room, running with black button-down in hand. Will scrambled after her, skidding to a halt when he saw me.

"I like her," I said with a grin.

"God, if you two ever become friends, I'm screwed," he muttered.

"Will! Stop flirting with the maid," Everly upbraided. She dangled his shirt from her pointer finger. Her eyes dared him to come after her.

The prince threw his arm around my shoulders. "Pfft, Annie adores me."

I ducked under his arm while trying to hide the blush creeping onto my face. "Whoa there, don't flatter yourself that much, Your Highness."

He winked at me. "Our friendship mainly consists of her shooting down my ego."

"Someone needs to do it. I like her already," Everly said, echoing my earlier statement.

 I like her already," Everly said, echoing my earlier statement

"No, no, no. You two are not hanging out. I can barely handle either of you alone!" Will declared, waving his finger at the two of us.

"Is Annie your real name or your nickname?" Everly asked.

"Nickname that I only allow Will to call me. It's my form of payment to him. My real name is Annalise Stark. You can call me Anna, though," I said.

"Hang on." Will placed a hand on his hip. "Let me get this straight: you're super nice to her when you first meet her, but you weren't to me? What sorcery is this?!"

"She's not drunk and trying to lay a move on me," I pointed out. "Does that ring a bell?"

"Always the charmer, aren't you, Will?" Everly laughed and looked at me. "I'm Everly Ward; I'm his cousin."