Chapter 29

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have a title until much later."
~Bob Goff
********************

James

As much as I prayed he would, Will failed to recognize Annalise might have feelings for him.

In fact, he missed it by a long shot.

To be honest, neither Anna nor I believed Lorraine would last long. Will had a tendency to get bored with girlfriends. That I knew based on his history, and that I told Anna.

But to my complete surprise and utter dismay, Lorraine stuck around. Will's parents met her first, which I found odd considering most people met their significant other's friends before the parents. However, I reminded myself Will was the future King of Verona, and his parents' opinions mattered more than mine and Annalise's. Being such good friends with Will made me sometimes forget precisely who he was.

Will introduced Lorraine to the Griffiths next. A maid who overheard Patty and Walt talking told me they didn't like Lorraine as much as they'd let on to Will. Seeing him genuinely happy with her, the Griffiths didn't want to ruin his relationship with her.

Then came my turn about three months into the relationship. I wasn't sure what I'd been expecting when I met Lorraine, because I hadn't even seen pictures of her, weirdly enough. She kept out of the spotlight as much as possible. Hell, the world didn't even know Will was dating her.

I was surprised to find Lorraine as a short, fiery redhead. I guess I figured Will would've gone for a blonde, someone who reminded him of Annalise, whether he did so consciously or not.

Lorraine was all smiles, and her brown eyes were full of liveliness. I liked her, even if I didn't want to. I wanted what was best for Will, and if that was a five-foot-three girl from Hellena, then so be it.

Six months passed after I met with Lorraine, and to my bewilderment, I discovered Annalise still hadn't met her. Nine months, and Will somehow managed to avoid having the two girls meet. If it'd been a couple months after they started dating, I would've thought it was merely a coincidence the girls hadn't met. But nine months? That was definitely done on purpose, but I couldn't understand why, and neither could Annalise.

"I keep asking Will to meet her, and he always says soon but never follows through. It's bizarre," Annalise said, munching angrily on her sandwich. We sat in her kitchen, eating dinner, and discussing the strangeness of the situation. "I want to meet this girl."

"Lorraine seems nice enough," I remarked. "Patty and Walt don't like her much, but they say she makes Will happy, so they keep quiet."

"They don't like her, you do, the King does, the Queen doesn't-"

"The Queen doesn't?"

Annalise shook her head. "She came looking for Will a few weeks ago, and I told her he was with Lorraine. Trust me, the look on her face was enough to tell me Lorraine is not her favorite person. I think the King is just happy Will's not dating me."

"Then the King's an idiot, then," Mia said.