Ch. Eight

Jess's P.O.V
I get out of the passenger side of the car and Preston gets out the driver's side. I look at the big hospital. I just arrived here yesterday, but I don't need to unpack yet. I'm more concerned about Mitch. The others are getting ready to leave for California. Preston is staying with me. We both walk into the hospital. We go up to the lady at the big desk.

"Mitchell Hughes." I said to her.

"Visiting are we?" She asks. I put my arm on the desk part and look at her and nod. "Are you family of his? If your not then you can't see him." Wait what?

"We're close friends of his." Preston said moving closer to me looking at the lady.

"I'm sorry, but only family." She said.

"But please. I'm his girlfriend. Doesn't that count for something?" I ask. The lady shakes her head.

"I'm sorry Miss. No, it doesn't." She said. I feel Preston's eyes on me. I only got to see Mitch for about five minutes last night. I feel tears form in my eyes. Preston puts his arm around me and pulls me outside the hospital. I won't get to see Mitch at all!

"Jess-"

"What if he wakes up? What if he wakes up to an empty room? He'll see that no one cared for him. I want to be there for him Preston. Every step of the way. I only got to see him for five minutes last night before the hospital had to make us leave." I said. Tears fall down my face. "I don't want him to be alone when he wakes up. I want to be by his side, holding his hand." Preston puts his hand on the side of my arm and wipes my tears away.

"Hey. It's gonna be okay. He won't wake up being alone. I'll get you in there okay?" He asks. I look at him.

"But she sai-"

"Jerome and Lachlan isn't his family and they were allowed to visit. I'll call Jerome. Figure it out okay?" He asks. I nod a little. He smiles. "Good. Just wait. You'll see him today." He pulls out his phone and starts dialing. I look at the hospital. I sit down on a bench as Preston talks to Jerome. Tears start coming down my face. I cover my face with my hands. I want to stop crying but I can't. I just don't want Mitch to wake up to see he is alone. That would be terrible. I plan to stay in this hospital till visiting hours are done. You may can me crazy, but I love him too much to leave him alone. Preston gets off the phone.

"Hey. It's alright." He said. I feel his arms around me. "Mitch's parents are gonna talk to the hospital so you can visit whenever you want."

"Thank you Preston." I said through my tears.

*A week later*
I rub Mitch's arm a little looking at him. I hand his hand tight. Preston is asleep in a chair. We have been here for a few hours. I told Preston he could go home, but he didn't want to leave me alone. I look at Mitch again. He has a breathing mask over his mouth and nose. The doctor said he is having trouble breathing on his own. Preston snores again. I laugh a little.

"Horrible thing to listen to I say." I said. I do talk to Mitch ever now and then. The doctor said that talking to a coma patient sometimes helps them wake up. So I have been talking to Mitch a lot. The nurses come in every now and then. Preston snores again. I pick up a pillow off a chair and throw it at Preston. Preston wakes up.

"Who threw that?" He asks sleepy.

"Mitch did it." I said. Preston looks at Mitch for a few seconds.

"Don't try to confuse me when I'm half asleep." He said. He goes back to sleep. I look back at Mitch.

"Connor wanted me to say hi for him. I almost forgot. Jerome and them went to California. They think that since their was 499 other people who fell, that it has to involve Minecraft some how. You can't help them I guess. They believe what they do." I said. The door opens. A nurse comes in. She does her daily checkup but she doesn't leave after that.

"That's weird." She said reading from her clipboard.

Jerome's P.O.V
I look at the road in front of me. We somewhat got Notch's address. We're in California right now. I'm driving a rental car, with Rob in the passenger seat, and Vikk and Lachlan in the back. Rob is looking for a address on his phone. I turn into a parking lot and park the car. I look at Rob.

"I rather not waste gas and have to refill again till we have an address." I said.

"I'm looking geez." Rob said. Lachlan unclips his seat belt and grabs the phone out of Rob's hand. "Hey!" Lachlan looks at it.

"We don't know how long Mitch can last. He lives in Beverly Hills. Let's start there and maybe we'll find his place." Lachlan said. I look forward.

"Alright. Sounds like a plan." I said as I restart the car. "Let's go to Beverly Hills."

"What if there is a gate?" Vikk asks.

"We'll dig underneath the wall." Rob said sarcastically. I smile.

"We'll figure it out when we get there." I said.