Chapter 9

Josh's pov:
I walked into first period right as the bell started to ring and was surprised to not see Tyler there. I mean, I barely know him, but he told me that he hates to be late for anything because it triggers his anxiety.

I sat down in the seat I was in yesterday and hope Tyler comes soon. I barely got through yesterday with him there. I don't know how I'll get through without him.

About two minutes later Tyler rushes in. He looks like he's really frazzled and distracted. He turns his face in my direction and I see the entire side of his face is covered in a large bruise.

No one else seems to notice him come in, or if they do, they don't care. He comes to sit next to me.

"What the hell happened to you?!" I ask. I can't stand the thought of anybody hurting him. He's so...fragile.

He looks away and just starts to unpack his things from his bag. I give him time to answer but inside I'm dying to know who hurt him.

"I...uh..I got in an...accident?" It comes out as a question, so I have no doubt that he's lying. Lying to protect me. I can take care of myself though, it's him I'm worried about.

"Tell me the truth." I say more forcefully then I mean to. He flinches and I soften. "Look, you can tell me whatever happened...I'll belive you..." I say, trying to get him to tell me.

"It's just..." I see his eyes start to glaze "I...I can't tell you...but it's nothing...I promise." He looks so vulnerable, I can't push him anymore. Not yet anyway.

"Okay." I say. "But you'll have to tell me some day. Please. I can't stand for anyone to hurt you..." I say the last part softer. I really hope he doesn't notice, but my face feels like it's on fire.

He doesn't like you, Josh... get over it.