01.5 • a while

*disclaimer: all the chapter numbers ending in .5 are flashback memories. the memories aren't in order, they're kind of like small one shots but they do tie into the main plot with the whole numbered chapters. flashbacks will be shorter than actual present time chapter. enjoy!

"Ash! Come here kiddo!" Mom yelled from the kitchen area of our "house".

I ran over from my bed and bounced around the kitchen until Mommy set her hands on my shoulders. Her eyes were all big and red like she had been crying.

"Why are you sad Mommy?" I looked up at her. "Did something happen to Daddy?"

"Daddy's fine, Ash. You will be too okay? I have to go somewhere and I know it's going to be hard but you're going to me staying with the neighbours for a while." Mommy looked at the ground as her voice cracked through the last few words.

"Why Mommy? What happened?" I put my hand on the side of her face. A few tears slipped out of Mommas eyes which made a few slip out of my own.

Why was Mommy doing this?

"The Murphy's are nice people. You'll be okay, Ash. Just remember, try to see the good in everyone." Mommy finished and then suddenly the doors were being banged on very loudly. It started to hurt my ears and then they got in.

Mommy was yelling at the men to let her go but they grabbed her wrists and left me. Another woman walked in and picked me up.

"I'm so sorry you had to see that. I'm Mrs. Murphy. You can call me Diane."

The woman walked to the door next to mine and she carried me inside. Diane set me on the table and brought over some tissue to clean me up.

"Where's my Mommy going?" I sniffled. I didn't want to see Mommy go. I needed her.

"She's gone away for a while sweetheart. You'll see her soon." Diane looked down to the ground like Mommy had. She was lying.

"Mom!" A voice called from another room.

"In here John! We have a guest who's going to be staying with us for a while." A little boy walked in. He was taller and skinnier and had shaggy brown hair. His eyes were a piercing blue and his smirk was adorable.

"Ashton, this is John. John, This is Ashton, Ash for short I believe." Diane introduced me to who I believed was her son.

"You two will be sharing a room for a while, I hope you don't mind." John nodded his head as did I, so I guess we were both okay with it.

"Call if you need me." Diane walked into the next room, leaving me with John.

"C'mon! I'll show you our room!" John took of running in the opposite direction, leaving me excited to follow.