03.5 • plans

"You're going to be okay." His grip weakened on my hand but I still held on. He needed to make it. I'm not letting my best friend die.

"Ash, can you come here?" Alex called me into the next room and I let my hand slip out of his.

"The medicine they gave us wasn't enough." Alex sighed.

"No, no, no it's has to be!" Tears surfaced in my eyes as I thought about losing him.

"Ashton, stay calm. I have a plan." Alex grabbed my hand, stopping me from ripping out my hair.

"Like what? I can't let him die, Alex." My cheeks were now stained with tears as Alex explained to me his ideas. It was risky and I knew we would get caught. But we need to save him.

Later that night I said goodnight to John and followed Alex out the front door. The hallways were still lit like always but there were no guards on duty. We soon reached the medical bay, grabbed what we thought we needed then ran. We never got caught.

"Hey Murphy, drink this please." I held his hand and held a small cup up to his mouth with the stolen medicine within it.

"T-thanks Ash." He stuttered after drinking what he could.

"I can't lose you, Murphy." I mumbled under my breathe.

"I d-don't p-plan on leav-ving." His weak fingers gently clenched my hand. His were much more clammy and moist but I didn't care. I just needed him.

"D-don't overthink I-t." It was like he could read my mind.

"I love you, John."

"I- know you d-do." There's the real John Murphy.

The next morning wasn't as peaceful. The guards were banging on the door, yelling for Alex. John didn't know what was going on but I talked him into staying in bed for the time being.

"Alex Murphy you are under arrest for theft." The guard took his hands behind his back and they were gone.

Alex was going to die.