Chapter 3: Late Night's and Chess

We sat at the table, in the silence, coffee mugs in our hands. I dressed myself in yet another long sleeved shirt, with my black glove on my left hand, to cover up the appendage. Myrina, Fletcher and Darius would be here soon. I had gotten a call this morning and she informed me they'd be coming up today. 

Koul knew about this and she and I waited with baited breath. She squeezes my knee under the table and I place my hand over it. 

It's been a while since I've allowed myself any form of support. Koul has been a fantastic listener. When she found out I was the Pariah last night, she barely even batted an eye. She told me she knew I was someone powerful, and that she was thankful for everything I'd done for her, and she wasn't mad that I wasn't able to save her parents. 

She's been very understanding. 

"Do you have the guest rooms ready?" I ask, because I need something else to think about other than the family that's coming here. 

She nods her head. "Yes, Erin, it's all prepared." 

"What about the kitchen? Is it stocked?" 

"Yes, Erin." 

"What about--" 

"Erin, don't worry," she says. "I promise, everything will be fine." 

"I know, I just... it's been ten years," I shake my head, with my other hand tightening a bit around the mug. "And I hate that she's with someone else now. I hate that she doesn't even remember me and treats me like some stranger. I mean, I know I am, but I hate knowing that I am!" The glass breaks under my hand. Luckily, it's the artificial one, so the scolding hot liquid doesn't even affect me. Koul jumped and I quickly gathered myself. It was bad enough I let her see me cry. The person she's been depending on for so long was crying in front of her. She doesn't need that. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that." 

Her hand releases mine, and comes around to the back of my neck. She pulls me in closer and kisses my forehead. "I know." She gets up to go get paper towels to clean up the mess, when I hear the door bell ringing from the foyer. Koul looks back at me as she rips off a few paper towels from the roll. "Better go answer it." 

I get up, wipe my hands on my jeans, straighten out my glove and then head for the door. Keep your cool, Erin, keep it. I pull open the door. 

Fletcher came flying inside as soon as the door opens and Myrina calls his name. I feel his arms wrap around my leg and he looks up at me. "Hey, kid," I say. 

"I'm so sorry," Myrina apologizes and kneels down in front of him. "Fletcher, you can't just run into people's homes like that." 

"No, it's all right," I place my hand on his dark brown hair and ruffle it. His eyes seem to twinkle. "It's all good." I look up. 

There he stood. Dressed up in a dark suit and a tie. When he sees me, his jaw opens. I know Darius thought I was dead. Hell, most of everyone did. I was supposed to be dead. My own sister told me I was going to die after the battle. I wouldn't live any longer than 21, at least that's what they told me. His shock didn't shock me. 

Myrina and Darius step inside the foyer and Darius closes the door. More like slams it. 

Koul comes into the foyer, next to me. I reach my hand around, squeezing her waist, since I needed the support. She smiles politely, taking up the control. 

"Hello, welcome back. Why don't you bring your bags and follow me? I'll show you to your rooms." She says, with a smile. I'm thankful Koul is here to save the day. She leaves my side, but not before giving me another firm squeeze of the shoulder as she passes.