Chapter 13: Fights and Notes

My sleep was consumed of no nightmares. Just a dreamless sleep. When my eyes opened to the morning light streaming in through my window, I was both shocked and delighted. Most nights contained restlessness. Images of the city I destroyed, the lives I've taken unjustly, and the visions of Paine hovering over me with her crooked, mirthless, twisted smile filled my head. Normally, I'd wake up sweating. I don't normally scream, or make any kind of sound at all. Aside from mumbles. But it didn't typically bother any body else. 

But tonight.

Tonight was different. Perhaps it was because I went to sleep with a large smile on my face. I felt twisted for smiling over a ten year relationship coming to an end. But I just couldn't bring myself to even fake mourn over it. There was absolutely no denying that I was happy. Just the simple pleasure of knowing Myrina wouldn't be taken by anyone gave me great comfort. 

Even if it was doing the opposite to Myrina. I could imagine her nerves were in a tight bundle right now. She was probably obsessing with how things were going to turn out. 

I slipped out from beneath my sheets to get ready. I swiftly dress, brush my teeth and reattach my aesthetic arm to my left side, gloved it, then walked out. 

If it were possible, I'd be skipping down the hall. 

I am truly messed up for thinking like this. 

I stop at Fletcher's door and knock quietly. His door creaks open and a very sleepy, groggy little boy pokes his head out grumpily. 

"Make sure you get dressed, kid. We're gonna go out for breakfast. Just you and me."

His grogginess vanished and in its place took over a happy, delighted little boy. He nodded and closed the door in my face with a sharp click. 

When I got downstairs, I searched for Koul. I was going to tell her she should get out of the house, but it appeared she was already gone. 

Standing in my kitchen was Myrina and Darius. Darius's back was turned to me and he was fiddling with the coffee machine. Myrina looked a little more nervous about this and I couldn't blame her. 

Judging by the casual whistle coming from Darius, he had no clue what was about to come. 

Oh, how I wished I could be a fly on the wall while they spoke. I wanted to see the look on his face. 

Fuck you, Darius.  

"I'm ready!" Fletcher skipped down the stairs, much like I had visualized myself doing. He slips on his shoes and I help him tie them while he pulls his coat on. 

"Where you of to, Fletch?" Darius asked, barely looking up from his mug. 

"Erin and I are gonna go into town and eat breakfast." He runs over to Myrina and she quickly leans down to kiss his forehead. She hugs him tight and as she does, her eyes meet mine. I give her a slight dip of my head, but kept it subtle. 

Darius chuckles and ruffles his hair. "Cool deal, kid." He looks up at me and god, do I wish I could have been smug. But I knew it would give something away if I did. So I just raised my chin at him and he scoffs, rolling his eyes. And for good measure, turns and kisses Myrina right on the mouth. She freezes, not exactly kissing him back, but not pulling away either. 

Fletcher runs back over to me and nearly tackles my leg. "Can we get pancakes?"

I grin down at his eager face. "Anything you want." I look back up at Myrina and she's chewing on her lip. I wished I could cross over to her and give her some kind of support. But with Darius standing there, it was impossible.