Book Review: End of Days

Title: End of Days
Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn and the End of the Days #3
Genres: Young Adult Urban Fantasy, Post-apocalyptic, Angels.
Format: Kindle Edition
Publication Date: 12th May 2015
Publisher: Skyscrape
Goodreads Avg. Rating: 4.11 out of 5 stars
My Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Please go down a bit further and read my Angelfall review first!

"I had no idea that someone could be such a thorn in your foot during a death march and still be irresistibly attractive in some magical, undeniable way."

First of all, I'm so proud of myself for finishing the entire trilogy. I read Angelfall last year and I left it halfway through since I found it endlessly boring. I picked it up again and this time, not only did I enjoy and finish the first book, I also completed the entire trilogy, which is a damn good thing because now this angel series won't haunt me for the rest of my life with it's gorgeous covers and raving reviews. Dobby is free.

This review is rated S for minor spoilers. Read at your own risk.

The first book had faults and while I wouldn't call it amazing, it was very enjoyable. I liked Ee's writing style and I truly believed the series had the potential to be part of my "favourites" shelf. The second book wasn't nearly as magical as the first one but good enough. I considered it a transition novel and my curiosity didn't waver because I was expecting the finale to be epic.

I was disastrously disappointed.

Even if I hated it with a passion, I wouldn't have called it a waste of time. But I didn't. I barely felt anything while reading this book and believe me, that is the worst type of reading experience. I struggled to find things to write about this book.

So, for End of Days, I downed my rating from 3 to 2 when I realized I had more negative things to say about this book. Unfortunately, this trilogy suffers from the Trilogy-syndrome where the author runs out of ideas, turns her multi-dimensional characters into dimwits and we end up with a shitty excuse of a conclusion.

I thought this was supposed to be an action packed, kickass novel where the romantic relationship wasn't the main aspect. I thought there would be world building, the invasion and history of the Angels properly explained in the last book. I thought, maybe for once, the main heroine wouldn't be some pathetic bitch whose only aim would be to bang the leading male character.

Half of this book was just Penryn being pervy and weird. Esp that scene when she places Raffe's hand on her boobs while he's freaking sleeping. Hmph, rapist much. Like, wow...that's not creepy or anything.

Penryn awfully reminded me of Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games. The fierce, independent young woman who would cross all barriers just to save her family who suddenly turns into a whiny, "Damsel in Distress". At least Katniss had a reason for not being her old self. I can't believe this was the same badass, independent girl who kidnapped and threatened to kill an archangel so she could rescue her baby sister. And I find it absolutely ridiculous how Paige was the most important person in Penryn's life in Angelfall and her only objective was her safety but she didn't give a shit about her in this book. Stupid.

She turned into one of those annoying Mary Sue, because:

a) She magically became perfect with her sword duelling despite having little training.

b) She is suddenly wanted by every guy but ooh lala! Of course she is oblivious to all of this.

c) She doesn't realize how pretty and special she is.

The only time I felt like Penryn was back to her badass, awesome-self was during the bloodbath. (But that didn't last long!)

And I felt like a proud mama when she said this:

If you're worried about pervs breaking into the house, it's not going to make a difference whether I'm in this outfit or in baggy jeans and a sweatshirt. Either they're decent human beings or they're not. Their actions are on them.

Can I have this tattooed on my face?

The other half of this book was just Raffe blabbering about how Penryn "deserved a better guy" crap, whining about how they cannot be involved, yet continuing to make out with her every 2 minutes. Even in hell.

Also, am I the only one who is very pissed with the short and useless epilogue? I mean, it ended just like that. I was expecting it to be longer. Ugh.

Two stars because of her crazy mom and Beliel. He was the only interesting thing about this book - his past, the reasons for his revenge and bitterness. The book should have been based on him instead of Penryn.

P.S: I'm aware that this isn't one of my best reviews but this isn't one of Ee's best works either. She can do way better than this. I know she can.

🍕🍕

This review can also be found on my blog, Goodreads and Tumblr. (Links in Bio.)