Chapter 23: When They Fall With Stakes In Their Backs

**Chapter 23: When They Fall With Stakes In Their Backs**

**Calvin's POV **

"I haven't felt this kind of pain in a hundred and eighty-two years." I winced as I touched the spot were I'd been bleeding out from a few hours ago. It still scared me at the slow rate it was taking to heal. Sure, I still healed faster than an average human would but this was way too slow for a supernatural being like me. I'd never healed this slow in one hundred and eighty-two years. "This is all sorts of strange."

"Tell me about it, I was the one who stitched you up." Jane Ann commented, shaking her head in disbelief as she stared down at my wound.

She'd told me the moment I came to that the glass had punctured a major artery and I had lost a lot of blood which explained why I had passed out. I would've been dead if my body hadn't started healing itself and for some reason, the thought of me dying didn't sit well with me at the moment.

"Okay, so this is really happening." Edward spoke for the first time in ten minutes, A confused looked permanently etched on his face.

"Believe it or not." I sighed and laid my back down on the bed.

"How are you not healing? That's never happened before." Edward paced up and down the living room, worried. Jane Ann had mentioned how he'd sat by my side the whole time I was out. He had been really worried.

"Do you think it's happening to me too?" He took a piece of glass from the floor and sliced his palm. It healed immediately.

"There's your answer." I said and he gave a sigh of relief before turning back to me, his relieved expression replaced with a worried one. "I'm healing now, Ed. I'll be fine." I assured him and he shook his head in disagreement.

"You're not fine, Calvin. It's been an entire day and you're still not fully healed." He pointed out and I let out a sigh. It was scary to think about it but I had to hope I was alright now.

"Let's not worry about it, Ed. I'm fine now." I said in an assuring voice and Edward scoffed.

"I need a drink." He headed out of the room, definitely headed for the liquor cabinet downstairs.

"Can you believe that guy?" Jane Ann rolled her eyes about a minute later.

"What?" I arched an eyebrow at her and she turned to me, confused.

"Edward. Didn't you hear what he said?" She asked and I shook my head in response.

"Uh...no. Is he still speaking?" I tried to listen for Edward's voice but I couldn't hear a thing.

"Yes." Jane Ann's eyebrows furrowed a bit.

"I can't hear him." I really couldn't.

"You can't hear that?" She asked again.

"Hear what?"

"He just yelled 'CAN YOU HEAR ME, CAL?!' from his room." She said and I shook my head. "He's right in the next room. You really can't hear him."

"The only thing I hear right now is your voice." I was starting to freak out. Jane Ann's voice was the only thing I could hear. I couldn't hear Edward or the annoying sound of Edward's old clock ticking downstairs or the sound of activities going on outside, not even the chirping birds that always seemed to soothe me.

"You really didn't hear a thing I said?" Edward rushed into the room.

"I didn't." I shook my head. "Edward, what's happening to me?"