Annalise

Hello. How are you this fine evening? Good, Good. I'm doing fine, thank you for asking. So what does your heart look like? There I stand, right in front of my mirror, contemplating what I should say to my future lover. I'm sure it won't matter what first impression I leave on them, our relationship is inevitable. Pre- arranged. Chosen.

     My name is Annalise. I live in a village in post- apocalyptic America. Considering that I am only seventeen, you can already guess that I was not alive during these occurrences. I do often hear stories of the apocalypse, though. Tales told about the undead walking about, trying to eat everything that moves. Anything that was alive, anyway. They say the cure was created by the one who made the disease in the first place. Someone named Ella, who wrote out the remedy on her death bed. Unfortunately, she was not infected, and could not be saved. She had arsenic, which caused her a bit of a painful death. My grandmother says that if she was still alive today, she might be a national hero.

     Since the apocalypse, several things have changed. There has been another industrial revolution. Those who were cured adopted mechanical parts as a remedy to the ones that were missing. This caused the birth of cyborgs to begin. Some are created, while some are just mended, like those who survived a very dark time in human existence. This also caused humans to evolve.

    All humans, well I want to say humans, but those are pretty rare nowadays. All humanoids and humans have a new adaptation, a new part. It doesn't serve much of a purpose, rather than make almost everyone socially happy. It rest just above the natural heart, and is heart shaped. But nit the ugly, organic hearts that people refuse to draw, they are prettier, more defined hearts. Much like those a girl would dot her i's with, or those you might find on valentine's day. Those hearts.

     They are sewn into the skin, but not by man. I can only imagine that would be painful, like the tattoo I have on my left side, hidden from view. My white tattoo, of the moon and stars. These hearts are born with, they are just there. Think of how an orange is pre- sliced by nature, and apply it to this if it helps. I know it can be quite baffling, and I have found myself pondering this upon several occasions. It is what it is, I suppose.

     These cloth hearts are very interesting. They say no two patterns are alike, if you count a couple as one. Basically, two spouses are born at the same time, with the same patterned, same textured heart. Even though the two children, a boy and a boy, a boy and a girl, a girl and a girl, are born apart, they will one day meet. The heart helps with this task. As you get closer to your significant other, the heart on your chest will start to get warmer, and warmer, and warmer still, until you two touch. From that point, your heart will have a faint glow to it. It is still alright to have a crush, or a boyfriend/ girlfriend, even though they are not your nature- chosen other. Your heart will still heat up a tiny bit around them, the relationship just won't be forever.

     When someone's spouse dies, a very sad thing happens. the glow in the heart fades, along with the heart itself, until it is just a small outline of what once was. There will be a constant cold feeling in the chest, although it does not effect the person themselves. They can still love, but they will not have someone you know is forever, someone who only wants you.

     I find this very saddening, and hope it never occurs in my lifetime. The couples are birthed at the same time, in hopes that they will die around the same time, to avoid pain. In a way this happened to someone close to me. Her name is Bea. She had a miscarriage a year ago. I can only wonder how the other child feels now, or if they are even alive. This is probably the most depressing part of the new human part.

      I gradually get ready to go to the store, I tighten my corset, layer my skirts and pull up my hair. Mother insisted I dress nice, considering the reason we are shopping is for tea party snacks. Mother always has her little parties, once a week. It's a good time for her to catch up with her friends, she says. Maybe this is why she seems to drag me to every one of them.

      Finally, my favorite part of getting dressed. Picking out my key. In this steampunk age, humanoids have several different classes. There are those who seem to run on clockwork, those who appear to be a walking lantern, and those who run on windup keys, like me.

   Of course there are several other classes, but they are hard to name. It might seem that having a windup key protruding from one's back might be a tad uncomfortable, but little do some know that I can remove it at any time. It's mostly just there for decoration, because one wind of it keeps me going for a good couple hours, unless I am in slumber. I still like to wear them, though. They are so pretty to me, and are very versatile. Precisely why I own twelve.

      I position my best one into my back and give it a twist. It has a beautiful lace pattern etched into it, and is made of rose gold. Since gold is no longer used for currency, it is easily obtainable at a moderate cost. This key is may favorite, especially with this dress.

    The undershirt is white, with a lavender  corset. The bundle of skirts is more of a deep violet, with white lace finish and a small pearl accent. This dress clearly shows my cloth heart, which is black with a beautiful floral pattern on top. The entire thing is canvas, but after it has been worn- down and become soft. I love my heart, and I hope my lover does too.

    A/N

On the side is Annalise's tattoo. It is a white tattoo, and is on her left hip/ side. So... yeah.