CHAPTER SIX

CUPID'S WORK

COPYRIGHT 2016 © JOESLINE

CHAPTER SIX

It was a pure crystalline of nothingness. The silence on the table was intense. Annie and I caught glance with each other and shifted in our seats nervously.

Eric proposed, "I have a suggestion."

My eyes traced the shape of his lips as he spoke. My heart raced as I felt the butterflies accumulating in my stomach. I gulped, clenching my fist; I couldn't turn away. My mind went wild, recollecting the kisses we shared. Or was it a kiss? Was it multiple? Did we already go that far?

"How about you help me find my ideal partner to marry and we can close your deal?"

Annie's jaw dropped. She shook her head as she reached out for Eric's arm. "Dear, aren't we doing fine?"

Eric tugged at her grip in disgust. He shrugged, "Did you really believe I will accept you after you insulted me fourteen years ago?"

"When you rejected me", Sarcasm flashed through Eric's eyes, he folded his arms, leaning back on his chair. "Have you ever thought that this day will come?"

Annie stared blankly in recollection, her eyes widened and suddenly a flash of agony washed over her beautiful face. She leaned back on her chair, defeated for now.

Eric leaned forward to me this time, a smile slowly taking form, "Let's get back to business, shall we?"

I paused, looking at Annie for a moment. She wasn't talking. She wasn't even there anymore. I've never seen her so devastated in life. Looks like I'm on my own now. I let out a sigh, nodded to proceed.

"I prefer a woman who's an entrepreneur; a businesswoman."

"Age? Looks?"

Eric replied, "About my age. I would like a woman with long black straight hair."

I quickly took down my notes, then I froze. In the corner of my eye, I caught sight of a woman of his description in the glass window. I blinked, unable to react at the coincidence. I shook my thoughts away. No. It's not me. Couldn't be.

My voice stammered as I inquired further, "H-How about height?"

"Up to my ear"

"Any preference of the person's character?"

He then chuckled and paused. I bit my lips, still staring at him with my hand barely holding the pen. My pulse quickened. What's going on? He's your client. Concentrate, dammit.

"How about you tell me yourselves and I will give you the specifics."

My mouth started to reply, then I registered what he was saying. My eyes widened at his words. Then, I felt a strong glare staring at me intensely. I turned towards the glare and found Annie with arms folded. She would stab me if given the opportunity. Christ's sake.

I glared at her reaction, "Don't stare at me like that."

"This is so cheap of you, Jane." She emphasised, "Now who is having the best of both worlds?" My goodness.

Eric nodded, "That's fitting."

"Best of both worlds" His eyebrow went up, still having that grin worn on his face. "You agree to marry me and we'll close the deal."

My heart jerked. Is this a proposal? I gulped, feeling my hands shaking. I never had a marriage proposal. In any case, this is not how people get married.