Chapter 4 - Shadows from the dead

Peter looked up at the warm sun above. He was farming wheat. As he gathered up the food he went to the market and sold it all. Great, he thought, Uncle will be happy. Twenty five gold nuggets. As he started on the way home he noticed shadows on the mountainside. He squinted. They were gone. He shook his head and kept walking. "Uncle?" he called,"Uncle?" He noticed the note pinned to the door. It said:

Dear Peter,

I am going to be late because of work.

Will be here at sunset.

Peter's head was spinning off in all directions. What work? Uncle was never home that late. However, Peter decided not to worry. He walked inside his room. He decided to fetch his bow and practice his archery. However, his bow was not there. Instead was a shiny long bow that looked magical. He got his stock of arrows and used the bow. Wow, was it powerful. Peter marveled at the aim and power it could do. He almost knocked down his target. Before he knew it, the sun was setting. By instinct, he ran home. Uncle was home. He started asking questions but was soon cut off by Uncle. He said,"Peter, there is something I need to tell you. There will be a battle tonight." Peter's eyes widened. He was speechless, not knowing what to do at the moment. Uncle continued."The village might fall. I want you to take this book and your bow and make a boat. Sail down the river. Wait there. Look at the beacon. If it is lit then keep moving. That will mean the city has fallen. Without another word, Uncle Frank thrust the book and the bow in Peter's hands and ran down to the armory. Peter was determined to do what his uncle asked him to do. He held back tears, working on the boat. Uncle Frank did not return. At last, he had finished the boat. He looked back into the city. The beacon was lit.