Chapter 12 - Nearby

Peter awoke, his eyes opening. He rubbed his eyes, staring at the sunlight. Why am I here?, he wondered. Suddenly the truth came to him. He remembered all that had happened just the day before. It had seemed so unreal, until he realized what had really happened. Sitting up, Peter felt his bow and his stock of arrows clang behind him. Frantically, Peter reached for his bow. This place is not safe, thought Peter, I need to remember that. Then came the bang. Peter took a while before he came to his senses, but jumped of his boat. Putting an arrow to his bow, he held it. He heard the noise. He ran. The noise got louder and louder, and Peter was out of breath. Instantly Peter turned and shot an arrow, without taking time to aim. The monster fell, but Peter felt as if it was in slow motion. The pale white bones showed the skeleton, aiming. Peter had missed death by inches. However, there was something else. A book? Many questions rang into his mind. He got his answer very shortly after. Three hooded figures appeared, dressed in black. The one in front was taller than the other ones, which was about the height of Peter. If Peter was afraid, he did not show it. He was trained to be brave, as a swordsman, but had failed. Instead he grew to be an archer, and a very good one indeed. "Hello, Peter." the figure said. "Who are you?" Peter asked, stuttering. Peter was now clouded with fear now that he had come to the conclusion that this figure was more than a monster. The figure snapped his long hands and the other two revealed themselves as blazes. The trees around them lit on fire, like it was responding to its master. Peter backed off, only to hit a stone. "There is no escape now," the figure rasped. The blazes advanced. To afraid to fight back, Peter just stood there. The blazes laughed, or made the movement that looked like a laugh. Peter would never do this on a regular occasion, but he knew he could not use this weapon. Peter placed his bow down on the ground. Peter thought he had made a mistake when the blazes tried to burn it down, but they failed. Determined, Peter drew his iron dagger he had gotten a long time ago. He had always kept it with him, and swore that he would only use it in life threatening situations. His dagger was smaller than a regular sword, and was the kind not supposed to be used in a big battle. Peter was not much of a swordsman, as he failed at it before but he still knew some tricks. He slashed at the blazes. One got hit and backed off while one threw a fireball at him. Peter thought he would die but then the book floated into the air, glowing. Then he realized it was not the book that was glowing, but the eye of ender inside. The impact exploded and the monsters teleported away. A temporary force field erupted in front of Peter as Peter fell down in exhaustion. His fingers was bleeding because the forcefield had only stopped most of the impact. Peter groaned as he got up. Peter was alive, and for that Peter was thankful.