XXXI: Getcha Rocks Off

"On bass, the most amazing and beautiful man I've ever had the pleasure of laying eyes on, the man I started this damn band with, Rick Savage!"

Rick laughed softly, trotting up to Joe on the center strip to the stage as the crowd screamed and cheered for him.

"Next, on the drums, the most spectacular drummer to ever live, ladies and gentlemen, Rick Allen!"

Rick stood up in his stool, raising his drum stick in the air triumphantly.

"And on vocals, someone I'm glad I had the pleasure of meeting back in '82, the fantastic Joe Elliott!" Phil went ahead and introduced Joe, who smiled brightly, turning back to the audience.

"And on the guitars, two dear, old friends of mine, the Terror Twins: Phil Collen and Steve Clark!"

Joe's strong voice rang through the packed auditorium, and Phil and Steve waved to the roaring crowd from their side of the wide stage.

"Now, if you excuse me, Mr. Clark has an.. announcement." Joe chuckled, stepping back from his mic. Steve trotted up to the mic he shared with Phil, biting his lip and furrowing his brow.

The year was 2016. After 39 years as a band, Def Leppard was touring yet again, this time with REO Speedwagon and Tesla in tow. Sold out shows had become the norm, and although they didn't anymore, they would always feel as if they ruled the world. They had conquered everything, anyway. They had a right to be on top, yet their modesty remained, as it always did. It's what kept them going after all these years. Friendship; ties deeper than the surface, memories and love for one another not thought possible back in 1977 when Joe decided the band should be called Def Leppard instead of Deaf Leopard to separate them from the British punk scene. The 80's may have been a simpler time, but rock 'n' roll would live forever.

"Hello." Steve chuckled softly into the mic, brushing a runaway strand of long, silvery-blonde hair out of his eye. The fans greeted him cheerfully. The lanky, older man smiled nervously, feeling stagefright in his gut for the first time since their first large shows in the early 80's.

"There's something I haven't done yet, something much overdue." The guitarist began, fiddling with the neck of his guitar. He shook his head, laughing softly to himself. "Fuck, even after all these years, you still give me butterflies." He turned to Phil, who was standing behind him. He motioned for the other man to come closer.

The crowd had fallen silent as Steve removed his guitar from around his shoulders, and snagged something out of his pocket.

Phil raised an eyebrow, heart quickening.

Steve tugged the microphone down to his level as he dropped onto one knee.

"Okay, Philip. There are a lot of things I could say, should say, but can't. There are a lot of words out there, but not one can describe exactly how I feel for you."

Steve bit his lip, running his fingers through his graying locks quickly before revealing the box in his hand and holding it out.

"This is way overdue, counting how long we've been together, how much we've gone through, how much you've helped me. You saved me, Phil. Physically, mentally, emotionally. You're my rock, my foundation, my savior - but nothing I can say now will explain it throughly. So, with this ring, I ask; Philip Kenneth Collen, will you marry me?"

Steve opened the box, presenting it to his love.

"I mean, if you want to."

Phil burst out laughing at that, but the tears streaming down his face were obvious, the tattered last words of that old letter from 1984 flashing in his mind.

"You wanker, of course I want to."

Steve chortled in relief, taking Phil's hand and slipping the ring onto his finger, just ahead of the promise ring Phil had bought them so many years ago. He brought his new fiancé's hand up to his lips and kissed it softly, earning a blush from Phil.

"I'm surprised you waited this long. We're both old men at this point." Phil laughed lovingly.

"Oh, shut it." Steve chuckled, poking at Phil's abs; he was without a shirt, as he always was during shows. Steve wasn't complaining.

"I love you, Steph'." Phil laughed softly, tugging Steve into his embrace.

"I love you, too." Steve pressed his lips to Phil's softly, breaking away after only a few seconds, but it was enough to make the two of them blush heatedly.

"Just like the first time." Phil observed, laughing softly, giving Steve's hand a little squeeze before letting go.

The crowd erupted into cheers, and so did Steve's heart.

"Finally!" Sav cried from the other end of the stage, laughing and wiping tears of his own.

Joe pressed a kiss to Sav's cheek before taking his place at the front of the stage once more, grinning broadly.

"Let's get this show on the road, eh? Slow it down for a moment. Take us back to 1992." Joe took the mic in his hand, smiling softly back at Phil.

"This one's called White Lightning."