Chapter 4 - Be My Baby

[Picture: Louvinnia Courtney. Video: Tears  - Clean Bandit Ft. Louisa Johnson]

[Recollection 04]

For Dylan's birthday, I wanted to surprise the big guy with a little visit. 

The company's secretary emailed me that the whole building was throwing a birthday party for whom they called "Mr. James Callaghan", a name that I don't think I'll ever get used to. I haven't quite understood why they chose to call him by his second name instead of his first, maybe that's his business name and only people who are intimate with him get to call him Dylan? I don't know. 

The Birthday party was on a work day, so it isn't much of a party than just a simple celebration where there's just food for everyone while they continue working. Dylan insisted going in that day instead of taking a break, so I plan on changing his mind by physically being there. It's been four months since the last time we saw each other and we're still getting used to the idea of us having this somewhat large distance between us. 

Luckily, UCLA was just a few hours away from home so I didn't have to face the problem of finding airplane rates that I could afford. I only needed someone to drive me there. 

Austin was out of the question, the trumpet-playing boy has his midterm today. He's stood up all night in one of the practice rooms and only got some actual sleep a few minutes ago, forcing me to have to pack and get ready silently as he snores in his bed. I actually grew really close to Austin, the friendship we had was something like a father-son relationship, me being the adult, of course. Austin was a child at heart and I had to keep him from doing things that could potentially harm him, it's no fucking easy task. He's one of my best friends in the entire campus and we almost do everything together. 

My brother wasn't an option too, since the little fucker was already back home a few days ago to grab some things from his studio (AKA his room). 

I zip my bag up, knowing that I'll probably just be gone for a day, I didn't pack much other than a pair of sleeping clothes and clothes to wear when coming back. My phone dings from a text from Lou, my best friend in my class and the same girl that put my name on the audition sheet for the school's orchestra unbeknownst me. Lou was probably the person I most connected with in the whole campus, next to my brother, of course, she also had the violin as her instrument, playing at the same skill as me. She was a blonde girl entranced with the sole sound of the violin, she just loves the aura that it gives to a song. She tells me she gets goosebumps every time she hears me play since we tend to share a practice room whenever we "study", I tell her the same thing too. 

Our play styles were very different, contrasting the similarities in our personalities. She played slowly, songs that bring out the exact beauty of the violin, songs that the instrument was absolutely made for. Her vibratos and crescendos matched with the right amount of reverb sound magical to the ears. I, on the other hand, play fast and swift, my fingers dance around the neck of the violin as my bow moves vigorously. She played classically as I played the violin in a much 21'st century way, matching the sound of the violin with EDM beats and beat drops. 

From: Lou Courtney
> I'm heading to the parking lot. There anything you want from Long Beach for me to bring back before I get behind the wheel? 

A light bulb fucking illuminates on top of my head. 

To: Lou Courtney
> Actually, can you drive me home? Long Beach is like a couple minutes away from my place. 

That's how I got my ride back home. 

_ . _ 

I was slumped in my chair, tapping my thigh to the beat of the song that was playing on the radio. Passing the last exit before the one we're going to take, Lou asks me a question.