Ghost Bird

A/N: This is sadder than what I normally write, but it does have a happy ending.

"Look at that one!" a strange man called out to his friend.

The friend glanced up and saw me sitting peacefully in my tree. His eyes glinted, betraying his murderous intent. He reached for his gun. "I'm gonna shoot it," he said.

I shot off the branch, fleeing into the sky. My wings flapped as quickly as they could, but it wasn't enough. Pain tore through my stomach. I could feel myself spiraling down- down towards the unforgiving earth. Blackness obscured the ground.

I was sitting peacefully in my tree. Wind meandered by me, bringing with it the scent of moss and berries. I floated to the ground to investigate the delectable smell. A few moments later, a boy walked up to me.

I didn't think he noticed me, or if he did he didn't care. He sat down underneath my tree and started crying. Tears streaked down his face, but he made no noise has he released his agony. My heart broke for the poor boy. I tried to get his attention, but he ignored me.

I watched over him as he cried. When his tears had dried and he got up to leave, I sat on his shoulder to follow him. He smiled when I touched him- he didn't mind my presence.

It took him twenty minutes to reach the edge of the forest. Along the way, I saw a pale deer and asked it to bring some berries to the boy. The deer nodded before beginning its search. By the time we were ready to leave the forest, it had amassed a collection of edible berries and left them in a bed of moss.

The boy smiled when he saw the berries, but his happiness faltered. "I have no one to share this feast with," he lamented, "No one at all."

He left the berries untouched and walked towards his car. I tried to follow him, but a gust of wind knocked me back into the forest. The car drove off in a haze of dust. I floated up into another tree and watched it disappear into the distance.

I stayed still for many hours. My lethargy broke close to sunset when a beautiful girl walked through the forest. The simmering light lent her a golden aura, contrasting nicely against her pure white dress.

She looked at the berries with delight. "When my own family won't provide for me, the forest will," she murmured. She picked up the fruit and wandered deeper into the forest. Out of curiosity, I followed closely behind her. I tweeted out a welcoming song, and she laughed with delight.

"The forest makes such wonderful sounds," she remarked. She took a bite of a berry; the juice ran in rivulets down her chin. "It feels like it's been ages since I ate," she murmured.

After she finished the berries, she lied down in a bed of leaves. Her golden hair scattered in a halo around her. I was entranced by her beauty- for the whole night, I did nothing but watch over her in her sleep. At times her dreams became restless, but each time I soothed her with a simple song.

Dawn came slowly to the forest. Rays of light chased the chill from the air- and woke the sleeping girl. She sat up with a smile, but quickly became panicked. "I need to get back home," she said. I brushed the leaves from her hair as she ran to the road. A gust of wind kept her in the forest.

"I might as well stay a bit longer," the girl rationalized, "After all, my mother never notices if I'm home anymore."

She sat underneath a tree, humming softly to herself. I recognized the song as a Norwegian tune and joined her in creating music.

A car drove up the road and came to a stop. The boy emerged, clothed in a pure white suit. He paused when he heard our song. "Those are beautiful chords," he said. I nudged him towards the girl; he patted my head as thanks.

The girl stopped her humming when she noticed the boy and backed up warily. "Hello," she whispered.

"Hello my Princess," the boy greeted. He took the girl's hand and brought it to his lips. With the grace of a gentleman, he placed her arm in his and led her deeper into the forest. I flew ahead of them and prepared a clearing full of berries cushioned in moss. Once I saw they were comfortable, I left to give them privacy. Even from my tree, I could hear the girl's peals of laughter.

I watched the two become close from afar. I rarely made my presence known, but the loving couple knew I watched over them. All the creatures of the forest strived to help them. It was obvious that they had struggled in life, and now they could finally find peace.

An eternity grows more precious when love exists.

And I watched it all, sitting peacefully in my tree.