Linda

The cough was indeed nothing but a memory when Linda awoke the next morning, smiling. Leaping up nimbly from the bed, more so than someone of her age should have been able to, she crossed her room in a few bounds and threw open the closet doors with renewed vigor.

Scampering into the spacious walk-in closet, she quickly pulled down two hangers without looking at their contents. With her clothes in hand, she retired to the bathroom for a quick shower.

After showering and pulling her curly hair into a little brown grey ponytail, she dabbed a bit of powder on her face and surveyed her clothing selections.

With shock, she lifted the first hanger on which hung her old nursing scrubs. Surprised, she let the hanger drop to the ground as she reached for the other. A bit more relieved by what she found there, she quickly changed into the thick, woolen, brown tights and burnt orange fall dress.

Grabbing a warm shawl, she slipped on her shoes and exited the townhouse, locking the door behind her.

This morning Linda's mind was much too occupied to trouble herself with fancy conversations. Last night's dream instead raced round and round in her thoughts. The piercing scream of the girl echoing inside of her as she strolled leisurely around the lake. That wasn't what bothered her about the dream though, nor was it the weeping figure of her fallen mother. No, it was the face of the little girl as she ran blindly into the night. Even twisted with grotesque fear, it was still unmistakably hers.

Trying miserably to shake the disturbing thought out of her head, she attempted to start a distracting conversation, only to fail. Resignedly, Linda gave up her little charade and instead let her mind wander again to the dream.

It was unbearable to think about, sending shivers of cold fear down Linda's spine as her body remembered the feeling of her feet pounding on the stone, chasing herself. There was a need that was boiling inside of her to reach herself, but something also screamed at her to stop, some much more conscious part. She didn't know why she ran, simply felt the urge to reach out and touch the young girl who wore her face like a mask.

The truth is, Linda was in fact attempting to do my job for me. Don't worry, she will one day fulfill that dream and become one of my most prized assistants, along with my dear friend Kate, of course.