Table No. 9

As Leni's resident stylist, Aika frantically ran from the bedroom to the bathroom with a curling iron on hand and a hair roller between her teeth. She noted the unusual amount of time her mother spent on her appearance on something as simple as a state dinner. "Mama, bilisan niyo! Naghihintay na ung sundo mo sa baba."

Leni scowled at being interrupted as she tried to nail a third attempt at winged eyeliner. "Sabihan mo sandali lang, Aiks. Inaayos ko lang ung eyeliner ko."

Aika shook her head at Leni's sudden concern for her appearance. "Parang ang conscious mo naman sa hair at makeup mo nga-- ay, onga pala, kasama ang mga senators sa dinner. Papaganda ka naman para sa kanya, no?"

"At saan mo naman napulot yan? Masama bang medyo mag level-up ng looks?"

A simple knowing look from Aika was all it took for Leni to admit to herself that she's been cornered. 

She gazed at her reflection in front of her and even she was surprised at how different she looked. Her smoky eyeshadow made her deep-set eyes pop and her lips were as red as fine aged wine. Soft curls framed her face and her royal blue dress hugged her curves in the right places.

"Wow, Ma.", Aika said, at a loss for words.

-------

Leni arrived at the venue fifteen minutes before the program started. She headed for the table number stated in the memo she received when an usher stopped her at her tracks. "Ma'am Leni, medyo nagka-reshuffle po sa seating arrangement. Doon ka po sa Table 9."

The usher led Leni to Table 9, or as luck may have it, the table where all the lady senators were situated at, as she figured from Loren's and Leila's voices overpowering that area of the venue. He dragged the vacant chair in between Risa and Grace and before walking away. "Dito po, Ma'am."  

Leila stopped her lively chat with Loren to greet Leni

Leila stopped her lively chat with Loren to greet Leni. "VP Leni, dito ka rin pala."

"Hi, Sen. Leila." Leni said, kissing Leila on the cheek. "Akala ko kasama ko ung cab secs, pero dito ako dinala eh."

"Naku, mas masaya dito." Loren said, glass of white wine on hand. "Right, Risa?"

Risa sharply gasped and remained frozen on her seat staring at Leni. Meanwhile, Leni sensed the tension in the air and felt her surroundings fading away until all that's left was Risa, and Risa alone. 

Who could blame her when she looked so radiant in her gold and white cocktail dress, like the sun shining on a summer day? Little tendrils fell on her face from her loose bun and her highlights accentuated her defined cheekbones. 

Their eyes remained half-open in a trance-like state as they stared at each other, only to be stopped when Leila snapped her fingers in front of her face. "Leni, okay ka lang?"

"Wha- huh? Oh, okay lang ako." Leni said with a weak laugh. "Ganda lang kasi ng best friend ko ngayon eh. Na-shock lang."

Leila and Grace side-eyed Leni at the same time before looking at each other at the word 'best friend' while Nancy stared into space confused at what's happening.

During the dinner itself, everyone enjoyed a lively chat as they feasted on some beef caldereta, laing and leche flan for dessert. During the entire dinner, Leni and Risa glanced at each other to avoid drawing attention, until the gazes became longer and deeper.

While Leni's enjoying her own meal, her breath hitched she felt a hand touching her knee. She peeked under the table runner to find Risa's hand stroking her knee and slowly creeping upward.

Leni wrestled her mouth in an attempt not to smile, but the blush on her cheeks proved to be a huge giveaway to what Risa's been doing to her. As Risa's hand crept closer to a certain spot, Leni bit her lip so hard it almost drew blood. She then took Risa's hand intending to stop her, but instead guided it even higher up her thigh.

"'Sa, paabot naman ng isang table napkin?"

With her free hand. Risa reached out for a napkin and handed it to Leni. "Here, Pangga."

"Salamat, baby." Leni said. She took the napkin and wiped Risa's mouth with it before kissing her on the nose. 

The other senators stared at each other with eyes wide open over what they just witnessed. Hushed whispers surrounded Table 9. As all that was going on, little did they know that President Duterte and one of the cabinet secretaries slipped by without anyone noticing and saw what just happened.

Then suddenly, Loren buried her face on Cynthia's shoulder as they snickered to each other. "I cannot believe what I'm seeing right now."

Risa inquired. "Ano po un, Ate Loren?"

By this point, Loren's face turned beet red as she took another swig of wine and howled into laughter with Cynthia. "Wala, Baby Sis, wala."

Their howls became the cue for the other tables occupied by the male senators to look. With all eyes now on them, Risa and Leni then got back to their dessert and slowly nibbled on them in silence, avoiding each other the entire time.