Gone Viral

Leni barely had her eyes open one morning when her two phones started to ring simultaeneously. She took her glasses to be able to see the caller IDs properly only to find that the calls came from two different members of her staff.

She answered the one her chief of staff was calling from. "Hello, Boyet?"

"Ma'am, kailangan niyo na po pumunta ng executive house. Urgent po ung meeting." Boyet said from the other line.

Leni's shoulders slumped at the prospect of an urgent meeting this early in the morning. "Sige, pupunta na ako diyan. Give me 15 minutes."

She hastily put on the dress hanging on her closet, a pair of flats, and without even saying a simple good morning to the girls, drove off to the Executive House thankful that she only lived 10 minutes away from the place.

Once she got inside she rushed off to the meeting room and stopped on her tracks when she found Risa and some of her Senate staff sitting alongside her own staff members. Ang weird naman . Usually advance tumawag ng appointment nito eh. "Health consultation meeting ba ito, Ris? Pwede naman mamaya, ah. Bakit ang aga?"

Risa avoided any eye contact with her, her voice somber and devoid of the perky bounce in her tone. "Kausapin mo na lang sila."

Leni eyed her own staff members and waited for them to say something until Boyet stepped up. "Ma'am, may ipapakita po kami sa inyo."

"Ano yun, Boyet?"

Boyet showed a photo on his Facebook shared by a netizen on his phone showing Leni and Risa kissing in that restaurant they last went to before going back to Manila. The photo in question was a little blurred, and taken from a far angle, but one could tell it's them.

She sat back all flabbergasted at what she just saw. She stared into space for a good couple of minutes trying to process what she just saw, but nothing. The silence became more tense by the minute as she eyed each and every person in that meeting room that waited for Leni and Risa's response. "Naka-ilang shares na yan?"

"Half a million na po sa Facebook. Wala pa diyan ung twitter, instagram..."

Risa buried her head into her hands. "Okay we don't have any choice but to tell the truth. Don't know how much damage control we can do. Aminin natin na tayo ung nasa photo..."

"It's not that simple, Risa. "  Leni said, shaking her head.

She's been caught between a rock and a hard place. Leni wanted to shout out from the rooftops that they love each other, but she also saw how that revelation could be used by their detractors to tear down both of them in one fell swoop, considering how long they've kept their relationship under wraps.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

---

At the press briefing later that afternoon, Leni sat down as she usually did to face the press and expertly fielded the questions aimed her way.

But a certain question from a member of the press made her wish she didn't push through with this press conference.

"There are these viral photos on Facebook of two women kissing each other in a restaurant in Taiwan that had been identified by a netizen as you and Senator Risa Hontiveros. Can you comment on this photo"

The reporter handed her tablet to Leni's staff for Leni to see.

The first photo, Leni already saw. She only stopped on her tracks when staffer scrolled to another clearer view photo which she's never seen before.

One that had the same necklace Leni constantly wore in plain view.

Leni took a deep breath. "I'm sorry but I don't think it's the right time for me to comment on the photos."

She sighed in relief when they stopped pestering her about it, but the nagging feeling inside her persisted.

---

The week after the press briefing, however, the gossip and rumours persisted and got even worse to the point where Risa had to disable her social media accounts due to the malicious allegations against them.

On top if that, she hasn't been talking to her, nor has she been answering her texts. And any attempt to call her resulted in a busy tone or the line being dropped.

When Leni visited the Senate to observe a plenary session, she found Risa exiting the session hall after plenary session. When Risa caught her eye, however, she averted her eye contact and scurried away. 

Thankful she wore flats to the Senate that day she chased Risa until she got close. "Sa?"

She sighed in relief when she didn't move away anymore and faced her. But unlike the Risa of old, her lips pursed and her eyes cooly looking at her. "Ano na kailangan mo sa akin?"

"Bakit ayaw mo na ako pansinin? Lagi mo na ko iniiwasan."

Risa's next words were swift and strident. "Alam mo ginawa mo, Leni."

Everything stung the moment when Risa referred to her as Leni instead of Pangga like she always did. She knew she was toast. "Sasa, please."

Just when Leni raised her hands to touch her, Risa pushed her hand away. "I need space, Leni. Please, pagbigyan mo muna ako. And please don't call me Sasa anymore."

Risa turned her back against Leni and walked out to the far end of the hall. As she disappeared from her sight, Leni dragged herself to the other elevator and into the parking lot where the car taking her back to Quezon City is situated.

During the entire trip, Leni stared into the windows and watched the cars passing by without saying a word. 

"Okay lang po kayo, ma'am? Tahimik po ninyo ngayon." The security person beside her said.

Leni sighed. "Sana."