Chapter 4

The following Sunday, after church service, the Torreto's and the team hosted what I was told was their annual Sunday  barbecue. Dom fired up the grill and began grilling up every imaginable part of chicken that was edible. Mia put me in charge of setting up the table. I was unable to locate an actual picnic table but Leon and I found a stack of rims in the garage along with a piece of plywood that was just the right size. About that time Vince, Letty, and Leon went out to go find some more food to go with the chicken. Brian showed up a few minutes after they left and began helping Mia in the kitchen making a salad. I continued setting the table.

 A short time later Letty, Vince, and Leon came strolling up the drive, arms laden with grocery sacks of food. Vince saw Brian and promptly handed his load to Leon, "I'm outta here."

"Awe come on dog," said Leon.

"Vince! Get over here and give us a hand!" shouted Dom.

"Looks like you got all the help you need brother! Vince shouted back as he got into his car and drove away, tires smoking the whole way down the street. 

I looked at Letty, "What's up with him?"

"Don't worry about it. He'll be back no doubt."

Ten minutes later it was nearly time to eat. Dom kept adding more barbecue sauce to the chicken.

"Mia!" He shouted towards the house, "The chickens getting drier by the minute!"

"Alright already, we're coming!"

She, Jesse, and Brian came out of the house completely loaded down with food. She walked over to Dom and managed to give him an awkward hug. Everyone helped put the food on the table and we all took a seat. Jesse promptly grabbed himself a chicken leg.

Dom looked at him, "Wait, hold up. Because you where the first out of everybody here to reach in and get the chicken, you say grace." 

Everyone looked at Jesse and folded their hands in prayer.

"Dear heavenly uh uh," he stammered.

"Spirit," prompted Leon.

"Spirit, thank you. Thank you for providing us with the direct port nitrous uh injection, four core coolers, ball bearing turbos, and um titanium valve springs. Thank you." 

  Everyone began clapping. "Amen," we all said.

"Not bad," said Dom with a huge grin on his face.

"Praying to the car gods man," laughed Letty.

Everyone began passing out food. Vince came stomping around the corner just then. 

"Oh look who it is," exclaimed Leon, "O'l coyotes-R-us. Haha I though you weren't hungry pumpkin."

"You know I gotta eat," said Vince in a small voice.

"He's always hungry," said Letty.

"Alright sit down," said Dom.

Vince walked over to Dom and kissed the back of his head. He then walked around the table and sat between Letty and Leon, in front of Brian. He grabbed Brian's beer and took a swig, being careful not to let his lips touch the rim. Brian took a swig after him. 

Letty patted him on the back, "Let's eat some grub man."

Everyone chowed down. The chicken was definitely the best I'd ever had. A nice robust smoky flavor. The salad tasted great along with the coleslaw, chips and homemade dip, and of course enough of everyone's favorite beverages to go around. And to top it all off there was a homemade apple pie and vanilla ice cream. No one left that table hungry.