Skirts

"What are you doing? " The venom in her words made me sigh; I already knew who it was. And I had been avoiding her. I guess you really can't stop the inevitable. I pulled my head away from where it had been resting on Aaron's shoulder.

"Where have you been all this time Aaron? I've been looking all over!" Her voice was so false at that moment, it didn't surprise me when she went over to him and tried to drag him away. he had promptly removed his arm from her grasp and secured it around my waist. She stepped back with a mock hurt expression on her face that I would've LOVED to slap off at that very instant.

It took me a second to wiggle out of Aaron's grip but I did. And I stood up and looked her right in the face. The face of the girl I used to call my best friend not even a few months ago. Heck, nowadays I knew the girl who lost her memory, whom I'd met only once at dinner, more than I knew my so-called best friend Anita. I understood that we had grown apart and things like that happen but really? She KNEW I had loved Aaron from the beginning but made a move anyway and then made it seem like I was the bad guy!

So I guess I had a reason for what happened next.

Before I said anything I let my instinct take over and I slapped her, leaving a bright red hand print on her cheek. Then, putting on my best glare I looked down at her- she was incredibly short after all - her eyes burning into mine. I could hardly believe it was my voice that said, "Really? What am I doing? More like what were YOU doing?! I had told you from the start and you knew before that anyways! Did anyone teach you that around here, stealing the boy your 'best friend'-" I put air quotes around "best friend" "-has loved for years is frowned upon." My voice was steely and cold. It was hard to believe that I had only been here a few months and ended up so... changed. Rather than taking a stroll down memory lane right now, I awaited her response.

"It's not my fault you can't get a man without tricking him!" She spat, before turning on her heel and stomping out, her black curls bouncing as she left. The nerve! But instead of anger, which my brain told me I should feel, there was a sharp pain in my chest. Those words cut me to the core. I had always knew that I wasn't the prettiest; not even close. I had hair that stuck up everywhere unless I brushed it, scarred legs that always had one bruise or another, a face that was uneven and rough, cracked lips. But I always had this hope, that maybe, just maybe, that all those things were pretty in some way, but no. What she had said is that while she'd been here in this town a few months, she'd already gotten stares for her creamy, pale complexion, defined curves, made-up and smooth face and just about everything I wasn't. Nor would I ever be.

Oh. And she had basically told me that I never had anything with Konner, or Aaron, and that I had tricked them unintentionally.

A shaky sigh escaped me and I slumped. A rough, warm had placed itself on my back, rubbing in small circles.

"Don't listen to her," His voice was but a mere whisper, but it held enough for me to turn around and look him in the eyes. They were so deep and calming, I was almost afraid I'd fall into them.

Almost.

Instead I just sighed and hugged him before heading off to the training grounds. I wound my way through the corridors, knowing full and well there would be no one down there. And I guess I just wanted to vent some anger out. I didn't really know what room was for what so I ended up just going into the first open room.

That happened to be the track. I sighed. Might as well. I put myself out on the track, counting off before just sprinting around as long as I could. So... all of maybe, a minute. I slowed to a jog and just kinda jogged around the track, still in my school uniform, not even bothering to change. I knew they would end up all nasty and disgusting afterwards, so I was going to head up to my room and change before taking a quick shower. What? You thought I was going to walk around in clean clothes smelling nasty? That's the same as wearing dirty clothes.

Once I felt thoroughly beat... well.. truthfully about 10 minutes later, I headed back up to the spiral staircase and to my room, grabbing a pair of clothes as I heading back to the showers.

I didn't know what would happen next or I wouldn't have picked a skirt.

One Tune